Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,408

3 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How long is he with her?

Alright I've been on a few web site's of good reputable breeders reading up on their breeding practices, and normally what I read is around November, they start introducing the males with the females. The males are with one female for about 2 days, then they get a 2 day break, and then off to the next female for a few days, and then a 2 day break, and so on...

My question is if you have only one pair for breeding. Around November, would I introduce him to her for a few days, give him a few days rest, then put him back in for a few more days, and so on.....How long does this go on for? What's the sign that I need to remove the male for the rest of the season?

Thanks

Re: How long is he with her?

Once you can feel good-sized follicles (gobstoppers, as Adam calls them ), he has done his job, and the follicular development will continue without contact with a male. If you are only breeding him to one female though, you can keep putting him in until you see ovulation, or you don't see any more copulations. Depending on when she starts developing follicles, this could be in December, or in April. Once you get the feel for palpating, you can really measure the progress of the follicles once they reach a certain point (you can't really feel them until they are relatively large).

-Evan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Jamison
    Once you can feel good-sized follicles (gobstoppers, as Adam calls them ), he has done his job, and the follicular development will continue without contact with a male. If you are only breeding him to one female though, you can keep putting him in until you see ovulation, or you don't see any more copulations. Depending on when she starts developing follicles, this could be in December, or in April. Once you get the feel for palpating, you can really measure the progress of the follicles once they reach a certain point (you can't really feel them until they are relatively large).

-Evan
    Excellent advice! I need to get some more practice palpating this year.

Thanks

breeding one pair, i would think that once every week or so is fine. you have plenty of time to git r dun! also if you see a "lock" you can remove him when he is done. sometimes my male pastel only stayed for a night or a few hours (lucky guy) lol.

vaughn