Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,360

3 members and 3,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Smile Hey new BP owner

first time haveing a snake

ive had my little buddy Bonez for about 3weeks now, cool pet to have around. i want to learn alot about it and everything ill have pics up of his case and everything, just wondering how i could control or measure humidity and stuff, also 2 days ago his eyes turned cloudy so i figured he would start shedding but then they went back to normal again and doesnt seem vicious at all and he ate yesterday, 2day i was holding him and i was smell somethign horid once in a while so i was wondering if they far sometimes? so i woaked him a little and i noticed a flake of shed came off.
    wondering if anyone had some information, thanx any info, ill get some pics up soon

Thanks

Re: Hey new BP owner

first time haveing a snake

ive had my little buddy Bonez for about 3weeks now, cool pet to have around. i want to learn alot about it and everything ill have pics up of his case and everything, just wondering how i could control or measure humidity and stuff, also 2 days ago his eyes turned cloudy so i figured he would start shedding but then they went back to normal again and doesnt seem vicious at all and he ate yesterday, 2day i was holding him and i was smell somethign horid once in a while so i was wondering if they fart sometimes? so i woaked him a little and i noticed a flake of shed came off.
    wondering if anyone had some information, thanx any info, ill get some pics up soon

Well I'll let you know a few things that could help you but I'm not an expert with snakes. For the humidity I know you can by something like a thermometer that tells you the percent.. i think it should be around 60% but im not sure you can look into that. to raise the humidity level you can use some method that involves spagnam moss or something like that its called and with water. something like you use a container of water with a hole in the lid and line it with that moss. what i do is just mist my bp's cage daily. i dont really know about the cloudy eyes unless they were going to shed. i think that may of happend to mine before. and yes i think they do fart lol, i've never witnessed it myself but i heard some other peoples posts that had to do with that. they were pretty funny some of them. Good luck.

Thanks

Welcome to the board Bonez. Here's one of the very informative caresheets featured at bp.net:
    http://ball-pythons.net/modules.php?...warticle&id=52

Humidity is generally kept between 50-60%. It is recommended that you get a good digital thermometer (a favorite around here is Acurite..from Wal-mart). It reads cool side, warm side, and humidity. You can spray your cage with water to increase humidity.

Thanks

Check out the caresheet here on the site.....

Here's some pointers....

1. one side of the tank 82-84*, other side 92-94*

2. Two identical hides that are small enough for the size of your new pet so that he feels snug and safe (should be able to touch it on all sides when he's inside)

3. Water bowl, which could help you with humidity. Humidity should normally be 50-60%

4. AcuRite thermometer/hygrometer combo. It has an indoor/outdoor function so it can do the cool side and the hot side, as well as tell you what your humidity is.

Yes, the eyes going blue means he's going to shed. There's a sticky about shedding here too. The eyes go blue then in about 3-5 days they shed. During their blue phase, your humidity needs to be 70-80%

If you're not sure what it is, then you need to mist to moist (NOT WET) to boost the humidity. Otherwise the old skin will stay stuck, and you'll have to soak and use towels to help him get it off.

What kind of home is he in??? If you can describe it in detail then we'll be able to help you get it set up so he'll be happy for a long time.

Some snakes will, and some won't eat while in shed. Since he has eaten, then don't handle him for 48 hours. He's less likely to regurge his meal if U leave him undisturbed for that amount of time.

I hope this helps!

RuLyn
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Durn. Nathan must type faster.... or maybe it was my "book".
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

well i like your explanation better....

Thanks

Awwwww Garsh! Thanks.
    Sweety314

Thanks

You're welcome. Can i borrow a dollar?

Thanks

Uhhhhhh, it depends......what'cha want it for???? Chocolate? Baseball trading cards? Down pmt on a ? LOL

Do U take PayPal or a check?????????
    Sweety314

Thanks

are the Acurite systems made for outdoor indoor temps? i found one id like to buy and it said that on it and it didn't mention anything about humidity levels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast