Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,234

1 members and 3,233 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Make Me A Shopping List Plz!!

Yes, those questions do need to be answered because if you jump on a BP on impulse, you will be VERY frustrated and confused.

Robin, I don't think he saw your questions because he posted a minute after you
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

My best suggestion for you is this, spend this week getting your tub all set up make sure you can accomodate the temps/humidity. Then while your getting all the adjustments just right, start doing your research and find yourself a reputable breeder. There are times you may pay a little more, but Id rather pay a little more than get an unhealthy snake. This way your tub is all set up when you get said healthy snake and during its time of adjustment you wont have to disturb it much other than to change around water.
    Sin~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsation
    My best suggestion for you is this, spend this week getting your tub all set up make sure you can accomodate the temps/humidity. Then while your getting all the adjustments just right, start doing your research and find yourself a reputable breeder. There are times you may pay a little more, but Id rather pay a little more than get an unhealthy snake. This way your tub is all set up when you get said healthy snake and during its time of adjustment you wont have to disturb it much other than to change around water.
    Actually, breeders usually charge less than Pet Stores. I got my two for 10 bucks each from Pete Kahl, a very well known breeder.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Registered User The One And Only's Avatar
    Thanks

Well to answer your question 80-85 on the cool side and 90-95 on the basking side with the humidity at 50-60% of course during the shed it can be up more to about 70%. I will feed live, the snake i found has eaten live in front of me so i know its eating. I have been researching for months and feel that i am mentally prepared if things arent perfect on saturday i quess i will just have to continue to be patient because there is no way that i will danger the snake in order to make myself happy but yes you are right i am excited can u blame me? if u have any more questions for me, shoot...BTW i have checked the mouth to make sure there are no signs on mouth rot and checked for mites and parasite on the body and around the eyes, breathing is normal so RI arent a concern as of now. i have a very good and trusted vet in a town that is only 15 minutes away! I can buy live mice from a petstore just out of town, they are $1.99! i have also checked the living conditions of the mice that i dont give my BP a sick or diseased mouse.
    ~Taylor~

0.0.1 ~Naga

Nagas

In Hindu myth, Nagas are a race of serpent demons whose power comes from a jewel embedded in their throats or skulls. Their name means "those who do not walk, who creep." When the gods passed around the cup containing the elixir of immortality, the Nagas grabbed it, but spilled some drops on the ground. As they licked up the drops, the grass split their tongues, which have remained forked ever since.

Thanks

Yeh I was trying to play devils advocate some of us are lucky to be in areas where breeders are like that some of us arent. I admit I got a way better deal with a breeder!
    Sin~

Registered User The One And Only's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh and your other question forgot is yes i got paid today and i guessed it to be $150 so the cash is in my pocket!
    ~Taylor~

0.0.1 ~Naga

Nagas

In Hindu myth, Nagas are a race of serpent demons whose power comes from a jewel embedded in their throats or skulls. Their name means "those who do not walk, who creep." When the gods passed around the cup containing the elixir of immortality, the Nagas grabbed it, but spilled some drops on the ground. As they licked up the drops, the grass split their tongues, which have remained forked ever since.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The One And Only
    Well to answer your question 80-85 on the cool side and 90-95 on the basking side with the humidity at 50-60% of course during the shed it can be up more to about 70%. I will feed live, the snake i found has eaten live in front of me so i know its eating. I have been researching for months and feel that i am mentally prepared if things arent perfect on saturday i quess i will just have to continue to be patient because there is no way that i will danger the snake in order to make myself happy but yes you are right i am excited can u blame me? if u have any more questions for me, shoot...BTW i have checked the mouth to make sure there are no signs on mouth rot and checked for mites and parasite on the body and around the eyes, breathing is normal so RI arent a concern as of now. i have a very good and trusted vet in a town that is only 15 minutes away! I can buy live mice from a petstore just out of town, they are $1.99! i have also checked the living conditions of the mice that i dont give my BP a sick or diseased mouse.
    Excellent! Sounds like you have been doing your research! It was hard to see through all the excitement! Nope, can't blame you one bit for your excitement! And good luck with your new friend!

Thanks

I have to agree with "rabernet" on this one with one other thing to add.

Aside from collectiong all of the "goods" to build whatever route you deiced on tub vs glass aquarium, there's also to "stabilization factor" as well and it most likely will not happen overnight, especially to someone new at this. When I say "stabilization factor" I mean the cool side is within the tolerance level, the warm side is within the tolerance level, and the humidity is within the tolerance level.
    I know I'm new at this hobby myself, only one month into it actually, but I can tell you it took me about 4-5 days to get things balanced out with the temps and humidity.

Please don't rush into this. You have a responsibilty to this new animal ... to take the BEST care of it as possible. We're just saying to make sure you have all your ducks in line before you actually buy your snake and introduce it into its new home. When you place a snake in a new enclosure it's VERY stressful for it, THEN if all the other things aren't right the snake is going to stressed even more and you're going to fustrated as well when it won't eat for you, it strikes/bite at you, etc....

Plan it out, put it together, balance it out, THEN buy your snake.

All the Best!
    Lon
    1.0.0 Ball Python, 0.1.0 Normal Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Fluorescent Orange Corn Snake, 0.1.0 Striped Motley Anery Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Albino Checkered Garter Snake
    1.1.0 D. tinctorius: Surinam Cobalt, 0.0.2 D. azureus
    1.0.0 White's Tree Frog
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1.0 Weimaraner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12