Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

2 members and 3,084 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Feed

Hybrid View

Registered User Cheshire_Python's Avatar
    Thanks

Feed

Hii I'm new here =). Great place, yea.

I've been feeding my ball live food, his previous owners (I've had him for a year) said he was doing just fine with live food. Buuut I just don't like the thought of them biting him and stuff like that. The pet store sells them live already, and I cant bare the thought of killing it myself, because I used to have mice/rats as pets so I automatically care about the little buggers, even though they're gonna be eatin by my Skittles (my snakey snake). So what do you guys do? Something that's not so brutal, I've been told you can smack em up against the wall, which sounds horrid. What else?

Also, the rat I put in a few days ago for him to feed, he hasn't eaten yet. And we have nowhere to put her...She sleeps with him though, but this has happened once previously. Nothing bad will happen to Skittles right?

Thanks

Re: Feed

Lots of people around here use RodentPro.com. Order in bulk, they're shipped frozen to you. It's known as "f/t"

Also, the rat I put in a few days ago for him to feed, he hasn't eaten yet. And we have nowhere to put her...She sleeps with him though, but this has happened once previously. Nothing bad will happen to Skittles right?
    Yes this could cause problems. This is where problems usually happen, when inexperianced owners leave live prey in with their predator over night. You need to remove him from the enclosure and find something else....maybe a box or something, but don't leave him in with the snake.

The more research you do, the more horror stories you will find that include pictures of snakes that have been literally eaten alive....this generally happens due to irresponsibility on the owners part.

Please take the rodent out of the cage.

Thanks

Get that rat out of there! NOW! If she/he gets hungry, what else is there to eat except for snake? Either take it back to the pet store and get store credit for future prey items or put it in its own cage with food and water. Your snake could get very badly injured if you leave a hungry, thirsty rodent in the cage for days on end. 30 minutes, no, hours/days, yes.

Feeding live is fine and if it works for you and your snake, then keep doing what you are doing. If you supervise and feed live responsibly, the snake won't get a scratch on him.

I feed 9 of my snakes live food, the Ball Pythons get mice that I breed and raise myself and the Boa Constrictor gets 4 week old live rabbits. The 2 corn snakes and the rat snake eat both live and frozen/thawed mice/rats. They all do just fine each and every week.

If the snake doesn't show interest in 20-30 minutes of the rodent being placed in the cage, remove the rodent and try again in one week. Leaving a prey animal in the snake's cage for longer than that just stresses the snake out and predisposes them to not want to eat. Stressed snakes won't eat.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Registered User Cheshire_Python's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    Get that rat out of there! NOW! If she/he gets hungry, what else is there to eat except for snake? Either take it back to the pet store and get store credit for future prey items or put it in its own cage with food and water. Your snake could get very badly injured if you leave a hungry, thirsty rodent in the cage for days on end. 30 minutes, no, hours/days, yes.

Feeding live is fine and if it works for you and your snake, then keep doing what you are doing. If you supervise and feed live responsibly, the snake won't get a scratch on him.

I feed 9 of my snakes live food, the Ball Pythons get mice that I breed and raise myself and the Boa Constrictor gets 4 week old live rabbits. The 2 corn snakes and the rat snake eat both live and frozen/thawed mice/rats. They all do just fine each and every week.

If the snake doesn't show interest in 20-30 minutes of the rodent being placed in the cage, remove the rodent and try again in one week. Leaving a prey animal in the snake's cage for longer than that just stresses the snake out and predisposes them to not want to eat. Stressed snakes won't eat.
    I've been feeding the rat, putting slices of bread in with it. But I didn't know that the live rat will stress out the snake. Thanks for the information. I'll ask my dad to take me back to the pet store tomorrow to bring her back.

Now, when I feed Skittles, I normally just pull out most of the stuff out of his cage and put the rat in, that's okily dokily right? Sorry I seem so ignorant on the subject, but at least I'm asking questions now instead of never right?

Thanks

Cheshire_Python, we were all new at this hobby at one time or another, so please don't feel bad about asking questions around here. It will always get answered.

I normally just pull out most of the stuff out of his cage and put the rat in, that's okily dokily right?
    It is probably not necessary to pull everything out. You can if you want to

It's purely preferance...i've done this in the past:

get a big box...put your snake in the box, put the rodent in the box with it and monitor the feeding. When he is done eating and begins crawling around a bit, you can put him back in the cage.

Thanks

Balls are ambush hunters. For my snake P***y, taking out the furniture caused more stress than just leaving it in. A sep. feeding box isn't necessary either. Handling after feeding can cause them to regure, or if they're still in hunt mode when U try to pick them up to put them back into their home, you can increase your chances of getting tagged.
    I feed all mine (except Oreo who burrows) in their tanks and tubs w/o any problems. Most of them like it, because (esp. Wrigley & Precious) they snag the rat from the doorway of the hide. Silly thing was, Precious did it & tried to drag it back inside, but he filled the "doorway" hole and the hide so much the rat pup wouldn't fit. I had to take the lid off, and dump him out so he could coil & then eat.

The more moving around before feeding, usually the more stress & less likelihood that your snake will eat.

RuLyn
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire_Python
    FIRST OFF - GET THAT RAT OUT OF THERE -NOW-!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This is exactly what will cause a snake to get chewed up!
    You only want to leave a rat in with a snake for 30 mins top! Normally if the snake doesn't whack it off in 15 minutes, it's not going to eat.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"