Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

1 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Thailand trip (DU no-no!!!, tons of pics!!)

As many of you may know already, I spent a couple years in Thailand from 2000-2002. I got the chance to go back a while ago, and bring my family for a week. I took A LOT of pics but haven't really done anything with them as of yet. Well, I was just sorting through them today, and decided to throw a few up for your viewing pleasure . I wasn't exaclty sure where to post this thread, so feel free to move it if you'd like mods. Some of these aren't herp-related, but most are.

Here is a shot of the countryside just outside Chiang Mai. That there is the elephant we rode through the jungle for a few hours.

Here's me and my Mom on said Elephant. It was so beautiful up there. Hmmm, I think this is the first pic of me ever posted on these forums....

We spent a while in Bangkok while we were there too, and while walking through Lumpini park on our way to the Red Cross snake farm, I spotted a few of these guys swimming around in the little lake there. Now realize that this is in the middle of a city with a population of about 10 million. They live in the canal systems and eat garbage and that rats attracted by the garbage.

Then we got to the snake farm.

They do a little show there a few times a day where they explain the process of venom extraction, and antivenin production in southeast asia. They milked one of these banded kraits (kids don't try this at home, especially at night).

and brought out a few of their other residents, a couple siamese cobras...

and one of their three Kings they had housed there. This guy was about 11 ft

I got to play with these after the show for a bit. It's amazing what you can get away with there when you're white and speak fluent Thai

They also had a little museum showing the beginnings of the antivenin production and some preserved specimens including these skins.

I talked with the director and lead snake milker for a while afterwards. He had been working with these snakes for 20+ years, and had only ever been bitten once. He made a bad move too close to a King, and got tagged on the the finger. They got him the hospitol quickly, but he still had to have part of the finger amputated.

It was awesome to be this close to all these snakes, but I don't think they take the best care of them . They see all the venomous used for milking as replaceable (as they take in all the siezed illigals) and force feed all the snakes that die in thier care to the kraits. They should look at all the advancements in venom extraction facilities and husbandry here. A healthy happy snake yields much more venom than an emaciated stressed snake. They just don't see the point in caring for them well. Heck, I saved a good number of snakes from the cookpot by buying them in the food markets and letting them go in rice patties outside of town when I lived there. Hopefully they will change their ways in the future.

Thanks for looking!!

-Evan

P.S. We also went to the Dusit zoo, which has an extensive native reptile exhibit, but none of my pics turned out from there .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: Thailand trip (DU no-no!!!, tons of pics!!)

Wow thanks for sharing the pics
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow Evan! What GORGEOUS pictures! Karl was trying to put your face to the name in his head and then I showed him the last picture of you, and he went "Yep!!!! That's Evan!! Tell him Hi for me!"

Thanks

I went ahead and moved it here...
    Those are some very cool pics! Wow.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Thats pretty awesome, nice pics. Where did you pick up fluent thai?
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Even, those are amazing pictures! What a fantastic trip!!! I may have to revise my "dream vacation" now.... LOL
    -- Judy

Thanks

Great pics! Thanks for the tour.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Thanks guys! Also, thanks Christie for moving it here.

Robin, say "back atcha!" to Karl.

Rich, I was a volunteer missionary for my church there for two years. I spoke to Thai people all day, everyday. I had a basic understanding of the grammar and a very limited vocabulary when I arrived, and after a while you just start to understand everything. I even was up-country for nine months, and only spoke english on rare occasions during that time. Once I got back to civilization, speaking english was what was foreign to me. It was quite the learning experience though, and it really makes me appreciate what I have here.

Judy, Thailand is herp heaven!!! I guess all of south-east asia is really, but I don't think I went a day without seeing at least on species of herp (even if it was just the house geckos that are everywhere.) We even had a HUGE resident tokay in one of our houses that I named Stanley. I miss it sometimes.....

-Evan

Thanks

Thats really awesome Evan. I love languages, I always have. I speak spanish fluently and italian somewhat fluently. I'm always that guy asking people to teach me some stupid phrase in a foreign language. I've picked up a few polish, hindi, and chinese sayings, you'll have to teach me something in Thai so I can expand my small list.

Thanks for sharing the experience with us.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

So do you speak Spain Spanish, or Latin America Spanish? My guess is the former . That's cool that you have that intrest to learn laguages. I grew up in a somewhat multi-lingual family, both parents are fluent in French (I understand way more than I speak), and my Brother is fluent in Mandarin Chinese. My Bro and I always sit back and compare the two asian languages, it's a blast. He has a BS in linguistics so he always makes me feel stupid. He understands the breakdown of Thai grammar better than I do, but he doesn't even speak it!

-Evan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast