Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

2 members and 3,183 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,550
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python x Childrens Python

I was thinking about this last night.
    What do you think the offspring would look like?

I am toying with the idea of trying this in the Spring.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Question Re: Ball Python x Childrens Python

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    I was thinking about this last night.
    What do you think the offspring would look like?

I am toying with the idea of trying this in the Spring.
    Hmmmm,i have never thought of this crossing Steve .Not sure what the babies would look like unless it was a morph ball to the childrens python .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Re: Ball Python x Childrens Python

you know what's messed up! lol
    I've never heard of the childrens python, so I looked it up on yahoo images, and a picture of a snake skin boot pops up!!! I just had to laugh...

Thanks

it is impossible. balls and childrens are in a different genus thus not being similar enough to produce offspring. ive seen a woma and ball crossed but that is EXTREMELY unlikely to happen again. 100% of eggs are infertile but once in a million maybe one will be fertile.

you will have better luck with python curtis. also if you want a nice intermediate hybrid you can get antaresia maculosa x antaresia childreni. or a.stimsoni x a childreni. there are 4 species in the antaresia genus(a stimsoni,a. maculosa,a. childreni,a.perthensis) and all can be bred together.
    jeff

steve,

the man that started it all 5 years ago. thank you for getting me into the wonderful world of herpetoligy.
    you are and will always will be my idol.

Thanks

Question Re: Ball Python x Childrens Python

Quote Originally Posted by uro1001
    it is impossible. balls and childrens are in a different genus thus not being similar enough to produce offspring. ive seen a woma and ball crossed but that is EXTREMELY unlikely to happen again. 100% of eggs are infertile but once in a million maybe one will be fertile.

you will have better luck with python curtis. also if you want a nice intermediate hybrid you can get antaresia maculosa x antaresia childreni. or a.stimsoni x a childreni. there are 4 species in the antaresia genus(a stimsoni,a. maculosa,a. childreni,a.perthensis) and all can be bred together.
    Now days anything is possible .Ever heard of the blood python and the ball python cross?I know a guy who has crossed king snakes with milk snakes and corn snakes.He has also crossed the milks with the corns and they are sweet looking .Where did you get the idea that the woma and ball cross produces unfertile eggs? Check out kingsnake and look at what has been crossed with the womas,some are ugly some are sweet.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    Now days anything is possible .Ever heard of the blood python and the ball python cross?I know a guy who has crossed king snakes with milk snakes and corn snakes.He has also crossed the milks with the corns and they are sweet looking .Where did you get the idea that the woma and ball cross produces unfertile eggs? Check out kingsnake and look at what has been crossed with the womas,some are ugly some are sweet.
    balls and bloods are in the same genus. python. kings,milks and corns are in the same genus, lampropeltis. ive heard of python curtis x python regius thats why i said "you will have better luck with python curtis"
    jeff

steve,

the man that started it all 5 years ago. thank you for getting me into the wonderful world of herpetoligy.

Thanks

The closer the relation, the better chance you have. I have no first hand experience with hybrids, but cross genus breedings have certainly occured. Corn/king crosses are cross genus. The corn snake is a rat snake of the guttata genus.

True impossibilities would be crossing snakes with different reproductive processes.. such as an egg laying python and a boa which gives live birth.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    The closer the relation, the better chance you have. I have no first hand experience with hybrids, but cross genus breedings have certainly occured. Corn/king crosses are cross genus. The corn snake is a rat snake of the guttata genus.

True impossibilities would be crossing snakes with different reproductive processes.. such as an egg laying python and a boa which gives live birth.
    ill believe it when i see it. you have a better chance of a burm x ball then a childrens x ball.

ps:lol guttata is the species name. s corn snakes scientific name is Pantherophis guttata.
    jeff

steve,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby

See i thought i was correct about the king/corn crosses.Funny you should mention the egg layers and live bearers.Once i had a lady tell me she had a burmese boa constrictor:eek: .I walked away laughing .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Oops I meant elaphe not gutatta. lol I thought it was elaphe guttata guttata.. did they go changing genus names on me again?

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast