Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,400

4 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%
Page 25 of 77 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by KiwisHeaven View Post
    Well some of us do keep out snakes as pets...and some of us are a little more open minded then others...
    for example...did you see the mythbusters where they tried to find out if plants knew the moods of people?
    If not then I think you should find it and watch it...maybe it will open your eyes a little!

Trust me, I am one of the "pet" people. We are about to get our third snake, who I believe to be my "snakie soulmate," if one can have such a connection. I just don't buy the tail wagging. I posted somewhere else about snakes knowing our moods through scent of hormones, blood pressure, respiration rate, heart rate, etc. Many disagreed with me. But I still appreciate the devil's advocate, even in myself.

BTW, I think this thread took a dive on the mud slinging. WE are capable of love, so let's show more of it to each other.

Edit: P.S. I voted "yes" and am darn proud of it!
    Last edited by MelissaFlipski; 12-12-2007 at 01:21 AM. Reason: add comment

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MelissaFlipski For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (01-14-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Kiwi - take it down a notch or two. It's an internet FORUM - which also has rules about family friendly content that you agreed to when you signed up. There are children here reading your tantrum, so watch your language.

Don't let an internet forum get you so upset. If it makes you feel more connected to your pets to feel they are connected to you emotionally - more power to you. Don't expect that everyone will agree with you - and really, what does it matter if they do or don't? Seriously?
    yeah well I don't really think I'm the only one to blame here either...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiwisHeaven View Post
    yeah well I don't really think I'm the only one to blame here either...
    Kiwi - no one was making fun of you. You were the only one that was cursing people out and reacting very negatively. The others were simply having a very civil debate with you. I'm sorry that you feel otherwise.

Thanks

I thought that the whole benefit of talking to your plants, was that you were showering them with carbon dioxide as you exhaled?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    I thought that the whole benefit of talking to your plants, was that you were showering them with carbon dioxide as you exhaled?
    I had heard that as well, which is why I was skeptical of this guy's "research" in the first place. Also, I had read somewhere, that tomatos will ripen faster when they have a red object in the plant with them, reflecting the red light. Ever hear of that?

Thanks

BUT, I know I love him!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Debbienflorida View Post
    BUT, I know I love him!
    Great point! Early on in this debate, after I had told my husband about it, he looked over at me holding Mrs. Snake and said, "I don't know if a snake can love you; but I know you can certainly love a snake!"

Banned
    Thanks

I know that my ball loves me, because she tells me!! lol

Thanks

I agree with you 110%!!! I am a "pet" person. All my animals/reptiles have gotten along, they all love me, & I know they know I love them!!! I also take care of my neighbors & friends pets too, which I know they love me as well!!! I voted yes too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaFlipski View Post
    Trust me, I am one of the "pet" people. We are about to get our third snake, who I believe to be my "snakie soulmate," if one can have such a connection. I just don't buy the tail wagging. I posted somewhere else about snakes knowing our moods through scent of hormones, blood pressure, respiration rate, heart rate, etc. Many disagreed with me. But I still appreciate the devil's advocate, even in myself.

BTW, I think this thread took a dive on the mud slinging. WE are capable of love, so let's show more of it to each other.

Edit: P.S. I voted "yes" and am darn proud of it!
    Stephanie

Thanks

After I read the first few pages of this thread, I didn't feel the need to read any further. But since someone else continued the thread and not me, I decided to give my $.02.

"Love" is a term that is used very loosely, but what it means to me is: showing genuinely altruistic & unconditional affection and devotion, even above self-preservation. And I think deep down, it means something to that effect to all of us. Yet we throw the word around so frivolously. For example, I "love" pizza, but not in the same way I love my own mother.

Having said that, snakes (or any other herp, for that matter) are capable of emotion, much less love. It is true that many species appear to "enjoy" human interaction (i.e. rubbing, head scratching, etc), but this is not love. It's simply pleasurable to them, and some will learn to do things to receive that pleasurable interaction again.

"Well, what about female snakes guarding/defending their eggs/babies?" you may ask. Again, this is not love; it is called maternal instinct. In evolutionary terms, an animal's success is directly influenced by how much offspring it produces in its lifetime. So, as to propogate the species, parents have invest time and energy to produce offspring to be "successful." So, it's not a "I love my babies and I'll do anything for them" situation, but more of protecting an investment.

However, I feel that some snakes can become used to their primary caretaker. I've noticed on many occasions when I have my adult BP out and others are handling him...if I'm nearby, he seems to want to come back to me. Do I think this is love? No. But I do think that over the years, he has become familiar with my distinct scent and when he is out being handled, he feels more 'secure" being held by me than anyone else. However, if he's on the ground or on my bed, he'll proceed to explore until he finds an adequate dark place.
    ---------
    Art Portfolio: http://www.artREXdesigns.com
    House Snake Site: http://www.shiningsnakes.com

Page 25 of 77 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast