Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

1 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%
Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I think my snake loves me

No, my snakes do not love me, like me, or need me. They are unwillingly dependent on me as I have caged them for my own personal gain.

To me LOVE is an emotion BACKED UP by an action: The desire, decision, and subsequent action one takes to nurture ones own, or another's, emotional, physical or spiritual growth and well-being.

LOVE has long been debated (and mis-defined) so I thought I'd present this simple definition (for your consideration) that crosses all kinds of relationships.

By the definition above, one would have to make a conscious choice to determine what makes someone, or some being, FEEL loved or nurtured, and then peruse those actions. This is as opposed to behaving in a way that they, themselves, like to demonstrate love. (Like an Italian Momma constantly trying to feed people who are full. That's not love.)

Example, at first, I liked to "pet" my snake. My snake moves his body away in the opposite direction in the area where I was rubbing him, giving me a signal he doesn't like it. I stopped petting my snake. That is a loving demonstration.

The feeling of attachment we feel for others, (fondness in all it's varying degrees) and our pets, perhaps can be "defined" as loving when it is producing positive results. However, a women who neglects or beats her children might say she loves them, or have a feeling of attachment or obligation, but is not demonstrating love (by the definition presented above). A former boyfriend said he loved me, but wanted me to only peruse activities he deemed as valid. Again, not love.

My cats, for another example, want to be near me all the time. I believe it's for their own security, need for warmth etc. They rub me so I pet them. Not because they are trying to be affectionate toward me. When they lick my hand, it's because it tastes pleasing to them. All very self serving. I might go so far as saying they "enjoy" my company and affection as it makes them feel good but I do not think they care for my well being, as such. They'd eat my entire dinner and not leave any for me.

Having said all this, I care very much for my pets and my people. I admire a lot of things about them and am very fond of them. I need them very much for my well being. I depend on them for many things. I like to, and need to, derive certain emotional and physical needs/benefits from them. In appreciation, and out of desire, which seems like an unconscious choice, through action and affection, I love them right back!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tracy0416 For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (05-29-2009)

Thanks

mine likes to spend time in my lap resting and likes bein near me
    1 Male Normal BPython, Dartanian
    2 Female cats, Tre and Spunky
    1 Male cat, Dresden
    3 Female dogs Rags, Doodlebug, and Sheba

Thanks

I think my snake loves me in the sense that he no longer sees me as a threat. When I first got him and started to handle him he would sqirum away and hide in the nearest nook or cranny.
    But now when he wants to hide he hides under the crook of my leg or in the folds of my shirt and dosn't try to get away.

I think his love is, hey you won't hurt me and you're warm.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phanpy For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (05-29-2009)

Thanks

This thread is still going huh? I OPT for Sticky so that everyone can read this thread when thinking about snake love
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

i saved its life it better flipping love me , so i havent handeled yet it can sense my love though the tank... time to stare at it using night vision goggles in itsd naturual nocturnal state
    1 norm BP - monty - Male.

g0 BpS

Thanks

i think all the snake thinks though is - bloooooody hell this guy is warm, and alive but way to big for me to eat so i wont bother. - now with a 30 foot python it sees me as, 'oooo a little warm snake..i think ill constrict it untill its eyes pop out'
    1 norm BP - monty - Male.

g0 BpS

Thanks

I really think that my snakes dislike me. I am an annoyance that brings them food, water, and provides them the nescessities of life out of my paycheck. If I could only be faster when changing their substrate, and offer them rats anytime they wanted I am sure they would adore me.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun J
    To those who answered, My snake loves me, how did you come up with that conclusion????
    It's weird but my man's snake (its basically mine too) acts like she loves us... As soon as we come in the room she pokes her head out and see who it is... She likes to be picked and she loves being around people (especially me or Cris). Cris thinks the same. If we put her down in the yard she will follow us around as if she knew we are her way. He's had her for 9-10 years.. She knows we not gonna hurt her, just feed her and care for her.

Thanks

Oh wow! She follows you around. I love that! What a fabulous connection you have made with your snake. That must feel awesome.

Thanks

Omg I believe in a way my baby will do the same things later on. Your so lucky to have great snakes. Good luck with them in the future girl

Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast