Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,947

1 members and 2,946 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,561
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1668. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.40%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

894 53.60%

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I think my snake loves me

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo
    But how do you honestly know that the snake is ok with being kept like that? The point people here are tyring to make (not taking sides) is how in the hell can you proof that what you are saying if even somewhat correct? Just because the majority agrees?
    No one can prove snakes don't have emotions....because it is impossible to prove a negative. All anyone can go by is the evidence provided by scientific studies and by personal obvservation....neither of which are capable of fully proving or disproving either point.

However, the BULK of the evidence would suggest that snakes have no capacity for experiencing complex emotions like "love" or even "affection." Scientific evidence, such as a tiny, relatively primitive brain structure...and personal observation of animals thriving in "plain" captive conditions would suggest that the snakes really don't care if they have fake plastic vines in their territory.

If some people want to use "personal observation" of their snake coming willingly to their hand when its placed into their enclosure as proof of some sort of emotional preference....well, more power to 'em.

I do believe there is far more to emotional make-up than scientists can possibly know...and it would be quite prideful to assert that snakes feel NOTHING simply because we have no comprehension of their ability to feel or what they might feel. But based on the preponderance of the evidence we do have available, I choose to believe they can thrive just fine in a plastic tub with the proper environment set up, no matter how "sterile" it might appear to us emotional humans.
    -- Judy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Pip (06-26-2010),STjepkes (01-18-2013)