Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,449

3 members and 3,446 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is my blood happy?

I bought her sunday from the expo (for 40 dollars!!!) and I have held her for about 5 minutes a day since then. She seems to not mind at all.... she have never "jumpe quickly" or made any fast movents. Ofcourse she does a lot of sniffing... but that why I hold her I expect her to.. all in all I put more holes in her tub (while she spralled out on my bed) and her humidity and temps are perfec tshe seems quite happy. Any insight from snakey, joepythons, bpkid or anyone that has a blood? She is very tame and non-aggressive.

Oh and on a side note niether her or my normal ball Kole have ever tried to escape is that a good sign? I mean.. not even at any hours of the night.. I love to wak up and just lay there watching them! No signs of stress or the want to escape.
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Re: Is my blood happy?

As, long as your snake eats, sheds properly, and shows no signs of sickness, you're doing good!
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

Well I justy bought her sunday and they didn't mention when she last ate. I tried to feed her as soon as I got home (live mouse[hopper]) and she didn't budge... I know that was dumb! So when do you think I should attempt to feed her again?

Oh and her length is about 9-10" how old do you think she is? about 3-5 months?
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

After a week of having her, you should try, then if she eats, wait 2 days before handling her. I don't handle mine until they eat. It might add to stress. All I can tell you is that she's an 06 hatchling.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hehe...at your request, I'll respond here, even though I don't have any hands-on experience with keeping bloods.

If I were in your shoes, I'd leave her completely alone for a week (starting today, not starting from when you got her) except for whatever you must do to keep her enclosure clean. Then try and feed her. If she eats then you'll know you're on the right track. If she doesn't, then you'll know there may be issues that are stressing her out you should look for.

It's really way too early to tell if she's "happy." Snakes live life at a much slower pace than we mammals. It may take a few weeks or even a couple months to see how consistently she eats, how well she sheds, etc.
    -- Judy

Thanks

awesome thanks to both of you for your needed replies.. no one else seems to like me here . I get replies from some select people and that is about it
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Some people here probably don't know the answers to your questions or something. don't worry, BP.net is the most frendliest place out of any reptile site on the net. Everyone here helps if they can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    Hehe...at your request, I'll respond here, even though I don't have any hands-on experience with keeping bloods.

If I were in your shoes, I'd leave her completely alone for a week (starting today, not starting from when you got her) except for whatever you must do to keep her enclosure clean. Then try and feed her. If she eats then you'll know you're on the right track. If she doesn't, then you'll know there may be issues that are stressing her out you should look for.

It's really way too early to tell if she's "happy." Snakes live life at a much slower pace than we mammals. It may take a few weeks or even a couple months to see how consistently she eats, how well she sheds, etc.
    In response to your question, ditto to what Judy said. Many people may not reply when they totally agree with the advice given. But I'll reply..."what she said!" =)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

HeHe thanks cassandra.

@ bpkid: good at least I found a decent forum to spend 75% of my time on
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Kilo, I keep Bloods and am happy to assist you any time , my suggestion if you deffo want a reply from me is to drop me a wee PM saying you have a thread can I respond etc or just ask me direct in the PM

I dont always catch all the threads started right away so at least if you let me know I will see my Messages 1st before anything else that way I can offer my infinate wisdom ..

I get the impression your very eager which is good but dont let your love for the animal interfere with it settling in mate...give it a good week or two at least to settle in before you start your interaction and feeding then go with a 7 to 10 day feeding cycle IMO

The good thing with Bloods is they are normally very eager feeders and will readily take F/T or live with no issues but you really need to let it settle in.

When was the last shed ? if it is due one soon I would leave it till after its shed before feeding or handling that way it will really settle in shed and be looking for food afterwards.

remember its going to be with you a long time so the early stages of settling are very important, if the set up is good and she sheds then eats , your doing good and start interacting in small doses.

keep us posted though I enjoy any new experiences and am happy to advise based on my own experience with Bloods.

There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast