Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,373

0 members and 3,373 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: I worry...

Thanks

I worry...

Something that makes me worry about RTBs.. i see so many at pet stores, and for sale online.. there must be a high turnover rate and there are always people buying them. I just worry, how many of these little "cute" baby snakes will grow old and large and still be with good homes? How many get "given up" or sold once they reach a too-big size? I hope that everyone who buys one of the cute baby BCIs or BCCs, has at least handled someone else's fully grown adult and seen how big they get.. I am just saying this because I hear so many stories of people having to get rid of their redtails, etc.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: I worry...

Unfotunately Gin, I am not optimistic that many of these little pet shop babys survive to become a size problem. With the internet, it's easier to get information than it used to be, but think most pet shop purchasers aren't remotely prepared for their new undertaking, and most pet shop staff are ill equipped to guide them.
    2.1.0 Kidletts
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Rex)
    0.0.1 Okeetee Corn (Maizey)
    1.1.0 BCI (Lancelot & Ruby)
    0.1.0 Cat (Ginger)
    1.0.0 Pughuahua (Ranger)

Thanks

It is sad; I hate to go into some store and see 10 BCI babies piled into a 10g tank; it is ridiculous.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Some of them have such large litters too. No wonder they end up in pet stores so much and folks aren't educated about them.

Jen, the one we rescued is a classic case in point. His owner didn't want him after he got big...not because he was big...he just got bored and wanted something else (believe it or not...we heard he has since purchased a gaboon viper...gee I'm glad we moved!). The girl he sold Ruari to had never even handled a cornsnake...never fed or cared for a snake...oh and she was afraid of rats. That girl with an almost 6 foot male BCI was just a disaster waiting to happen and of course it did. When I asked her once why in the world she took on a relatively big snake for her first snake instead of a nice little corn, milk, etc. she said "he was prettier" How do you convince someone this is a living, feeling, long living creature with unique husbandry needs that shouldn't be purchased just because he is "pretty"?

Almost every pet store I walk into has a big BCI in it. Sometimes two or three to a tank. All of them are super dark, muddy colored like Rauri was when we got him. It's heartbreaking. I can't even look because I know I want to bring them home. I know they are likely to end up in poor shape or with the wrong person. The giant snakes also are a problem but thanks for bringing up the issue of the bigger boa's who we often forget often "outgrow" their idiot owners.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a feeling in the future, redtails will end up like burms. Everyone can afford them, and they have the potential to grow to a large size therefore getting dumped more and more frequently. Just My Oppinion
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Very good points guys, and I completely agree with the [pet store issues.
    Just to prove everyones point, in the past 6 to 8 months we have received a higher average of surrender calls for boas then for burmeses pythons. I never thought that day would come.
    In the rescue as of right now we have a total of
    7 Common Boas, yes 7!
    2 Burmese Pythons
    1 Reticulated Python
    2 Yellow anacondas (actually they have found a home whohoo, they are just waiting here untill their enclosure is completed.)

It is so sad that they are becoming the next throw away pet.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i know what you guys are talking about, also. the other day i was getting a couple pinkies for my ackie and some 17 y.o. kid was in there buying an albino burm and the owner (who is actually knowledgeable when it comes to herps, but just wants to make money) let him get it. it was ridiculous. the guy obviously didnt know anything about them other then their name either.
    -marshall

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive
    Something that makes me worry about RTBs.. i see so many at pet stores, and for sale online.. there must be a high turnover rate and there are always people buying them. I just worry, how many of these little "cute" baby snakes will grow old and large and still be with good homes? How many get "given up" or sold once they reach a too-big size? I hope that everyone who buys one of the cute baby BCIs or BCCs, has at least handled someone else's fully grown adult and seen how big they get.. I am just saying this because I hear so many stories of people having to get rid of their redtails, etc.
    i hane not handled any larger than a 5 footer but i bought one. but the difference is, i am willing to do what it takes for this thing to live safely and that's what i am here.
    lots of snakes

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad nobody flamed me for saying boas will be the next burm in the neglect area...
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well