Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

1 members and 3,194 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Savanna question

When picking out mice to feed to your monitor, how do you decide whats too big and whats not? The reason I ask this is b/c the savanna I just got, is a lot older/bigger than my first one a few years back.

Also, what all do you feed your savanna to give it an appropriate diet that they like consistantly?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Savanna question

try to keep the mice smaller then your monitors head, although they can handle prey items the same size or even a little bigger then there head.

feed him mostly insects, offering rodents 2-3 times a week. also, for variety, some other things you can feed are crawfish, fish, earth worms, reptiles, shrimp, prawns, etc. the key is too stick to whole prey items with all the nutrienst in the bones, skin, intestines, etc. in it as opposed to, say, just ground turkey.
    -marshall

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    try to keep the mice smaller then your monitors head, although they can handle prey items the same size or even a little bigger then there head.

feed him mostly insects, offering rodents 2-3 times a week. also, for variety, some other things you can feed are crawfish, fish, earth worms, reptiles, shrimp, prawns, etc. the key is too stick to whole prey items with all the nutrienst in the bones, skin, intestines, etc. in it as opposed to, say, just ground turkey.
    Thanks Marshall! I knew I could count on you seeing this thread and helping.

As far as earth worms, like the type I would use for fishing? Is it safe to get the same I would buy for fishing?
    Last edited by Jeanne; 08-21-2006 at 02:37 PM.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

yes, i know a lot of people buy their crayfish and earthworms from baitstores even.
    -marshall

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

My sav loves his roaches, turkey, mice, rats, meal worms, and earth worms are all fair game. I feed tuna as a treat and eggs also but not that often. I usually feed my 2'+ male weaned mice. He loved his mouses!!
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

My sav HATES worms - he will just not touch them. I try putting them all together in a bowl, danging them in front of him on tongs, and some just fall off and bury in the soil - but he just won't touch them