Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

0 members and 3,177 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

My bp won't leave his hide.....

Just a quick question for anyone who might have an answer. I've had my bp for almost a year now and when I first got him he had everything a snake could want (I thought), a cave, a hide, a water dish big enough to soak in, perfection with humidity and temp, and so on but he would never come out of his cave. After handling, he would stay out for 10-15 min. for a drink and what not but would always go right back to the cave. Now that he has grown I bought him a bigger aquarium and thought that with the change in scenery I would take the cave out in hope that he would be a little more active. But now....he never comes out of his hide. Same as before, stays out for a little while after handling but right back permanently into his hide. Am I doing something wrong? My columbian is constantly out of her hide day and night.....What do I do?

any help would be appreciated.

Lindsey

Thanks

Re: My bp won't leave his hide.....

Nope thats what hides are for. Ball Pythons can be very shy and they aren't like colombian boas, which are active. It is very normal to be spending alot of time in his hide.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

Don't worry - he's just being a BP. They like their hides - a lot. BTW, you only mention one hide - I hope he has two in there, one for the warm side and one for the cool side so he can thermoregulate (sorry if you have it's just that you only mention one).

I have a BCI who has very rarely bothered with hiding - they just tend to stay out in the open more unlike BPs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Yeah, they love their hides. I would actually worry if the opposite were true; if he wasn't using his hides. I bet he is coming out in the middle of the night while you're asleep; that's what mine do!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply guys! And yes, I actually have 3 places for him to hide...I converted his cave into a hide and have a little structure of drift wood that he could easily hide in/under. And yes, hides on both the hot side and cool side. I was just worried because a friend of mines bp comes out almost every night and my hercules never does.....I make a point to stay up just to see if he does come out for a tour.

Lindsey