Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

2 members and 3,091 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,550
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
    Thanks

Question How to break into the rat breeding biz

well at the moment i have 2 ball pythons that are on that little line between 1 large adult mouse and going to some size of rat and a little candy cane corn thats about to go up from mousr fuzzied to the next size and was wondering if rat pinkies would be too much for her and if not how many rats do u think i would need to support these 3 snakes? and having too many is fine because i have a friend that can always use extra snake food thanks for all the help and im also looking for the most economical way to house the rats

-Ninja
    2 male bp's wolfgang & loki

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How to break into the rat breeding biz

I would think depending an the size rats they need, you would be feeding them every 1-2 weeks. I would start with a 1.1 pair(about 10-18 rat pinks a month) or a 1.2 trio. It really depends on how far you need to raise the rats up to for size. Warning you this, when you breed your own feeders(rats, mice, Bugs) You are MORE likely to get another animal than if you buy your feeders!!! lol Its true
    Hope this helps a bit
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

About the corn, Once you start feeding 2 mouse fuzzies(I think thats how the corn guys do it before they step up a size mouse), then you should be able to jump up to rat pinks. Rat pinks are a tiney bit thicker than a mouse fuzzie though. Just compare girth and you should be fine
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

1-2 hour old rat pinks are pretty close to a large mouse fuzzie. Adult mice are pretty close to rat pups (2-3 weeks old).

Most economical is fishtanks ... however they will also give you the most problems. They have terrible air flow and are really good at keeping ammonia in (they are designed to hold fluids).

This link will show you how to build a good enclosure for slightly more than a new 10 gallon tank. I use it as a travel cage ... but my wife has a pair in one and I have seen no problems. It would easily hold a trio.

Find good feed and bedding. Good feed is going to ensure both mother and litter are healthy and growing well. Good bedding is a must. Bad bedding will keep your rats constantly sick, it may cost an extra few dollars to get a good bedding ... but it will save you from having to buy new breeders every month.

Make sure you have an outlet for the rats. Demand for small rats is low ... and most people will raise rats instead of mice so there is an excess. I sell 15 mice to every rat ... even to local pet stores that sell boas and larger snakes.

If you are actually wanting to get into the "biz" then you need to invest in good caging (or build your own) and put out some money for good stock. Local lines are usually inbred and cant hold up in a breeding operation, plus they may have many problems like chronic RI's, small litters, unhealthy litters, aggression, or even sterility.

Bryan