Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,229

2 members and 3,227 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I know against some peoples wishes my minds made up

no one said you were. dont take things so personally. try not to be so combative( like the threads i read on ks) i was just talking to trey and trying to help him along with his process.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python

to start him off put him in the 72 gallon. the 20's will be usless and he'll be done with either in a month or two..
    robyn of pro exotics. one of the only experts in the country who has experience with waters. he has been published in numerious magazines for his care guide lines on takeing care of waters. this is off a ad he did for reptile magazine.

At Pro Exotics, we always suggest new customers start with a smaller cage for babies. Smaller cages are easier to control temperature wise. It is easier to monitor food intake and observe and react to your new animal’s progress. We like to start our baby Waters in a 10 or 20 gallon long glass tank.

Water monitors do not need a large pool of water to swim in, so that does not need to dominate your cage space. What you do need is a good moist substrate, some good hiding spots, a water bowl, and an appropriate temperature gradient that covers both ambient and basking temperatures.
    here is a link to the entire artical
    http://www.proexotics.com/water_monitor_article.html

by putting him in a 72 he will be verry stressed out and have a hard time finding food. and find it verry hard to thermoregulate. please know the breed spacific care needs before you post we dont want Trey to have another casuality on his hands.
    Last edited by fish21; 08-13-2006 at 07:57 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fish21
    no one said you were. dont take things so personally. try not to be so combative( like the threads i read on ks) i was just talking to trey and trying to help him along with his process.
    i apologize, maybe that was a little aggressive. i just dont like the bad reputation teens have when it comes to responsibility.

by putting him in a 72 he will be verry stressed out and have a hard time finding food. and find it verry hard to thermoregulate. please know the breed spacific care needs before you post we dont want Trey to have another casuality on his hands.
    my monitor can find food, he can thermoregulate fine, and that he's not stressed at all, infact the only time he ever tries to escape is if he's hungry before ive fed him. maybe i should tell him that he's stresed, cant thermoregulate, or find food?? he's one foot (the size of or a litte smaller then a hatchling water monitor) and he's in a 5 foot x 1.5 foot enclosure notice how small he is on the stack compared to the cage?

fish, ive seen this question asked about a lot of monitors and water monitors for that matter and if a cage is set-up properly then it doesnt matter how big it is.

robyn of pro exotics. one of the only experts in the country who has experience with waters. he has been published in numerious magazines for his care guide lines on takeing care of waters. this is off a ad he did for reptile magazine.
    he is certainly not one of the only experts that has experience with waters. talk to Michael (mrcota). he lives with water monitors, studies them, cares for them, and is very experienced with them. he will tell you (along with many other) that a large cage will not stress the monitor out. infact, he starts all of his hatchling out in 4 x 2 x 2 enclosures.
    Last edited by mr~python; 08-13-2006 at 08:24 PM.
    -marshall

Thanks

have you posted the pics of your set up on ks and asked the monitor people there what they thought.

i am done argewing with a 13 year old about this. have fun at school!

trey best of luck. do your own reading get your own opinions.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

No. why? i will if you'd like.

ive showed it on another forum (varanus.nl). they said it was great and didnt need to be changed at all (the specific question was if i would need to change the enclosure at all to introduce another red ackie.)

the real proof would be the monitor. my ackie eats like crazy, has grown over four inches in two months, doesnt try to escape, etc. so ofcourse the enclosure is fine. there is nothing wrong with it if he's doing great so why would i want to move him into a 20L??
    Last edited by mr~python; 08-13-2006 at 08:40 PM.
    -marshall

Thanks

Great looking setup Marshall! Wait til you see the one I have planned for the new house What type of soil you using in there?

Keep'em Hot and Feed'em Alot!

....and a water monitor is NOT a good first monitor....not even a good fifth or sixth monitor. Call Pro-exotics to see what they have to say about that
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

awesome daniel! what subspecies are you getting?

the dirt is sandy silt from a dry stream bed on our property. holds a burrow great. look around for any dry stream beds in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1993
    Keep'em Hot and Feed'em Alot!
    you got it buddy!
    -marshall

Thanks

Ok thanks everybody for all the insight. Robyn at Pro Exotics is the one who told me to go with a water monitor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr~python
    what subspecies are you getting?
    Maybe some ackies.....or something smaller than your ackie if I can find the right person to sell them to me
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    or something smaller than your ackie if I can find the right person to sell them to me
    i see
    -marshall

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast