Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

2 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Breeding Leo ?'s

I couldnt find a section on BP net for just breeding geckos so i figured i would ask here. If this is the wrong [place please move it for me.

I would like to see some pictures of peoples breeding set ups. Can anyone post some?
    Is there a good forum for just breeding these guys.
    Heating the breeding tank? What do you all use to heat them. I have a ton of flex watt that i use for my BP's.. does anyone use flex watt.

Thanks for your help

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Leo ?'s

I just keep my leos in tubs. No tanks here beside for rodents. My male and female bred a while back just how the tank was. Didn't even know she was able to produce eggs since she was a "hot female". I just use 12 qt. shoe boxes with heat cable under one side. You sure can use flexwatt as long as you use some sort of dimmer or thermostat!!! That flexwatt will cook your geckos. Just keep it simple in the cage, papertowels, water bowl, a couple hides and they should breed.
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Almost forgot, a humid hide/egg laying box!!!
    Damp moss or eco Earth work well for it
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Make sure your egg laying box has a lid on it. My female gecko has so far refused to use the vermaiculte and instead layed the eggs in her humid hide (which has a lid) and then gotten the eggs stuck to the plastic.

I've removed the eggs with the aid of a little water and some very very gentle nudging. I need to change her egg laying box

This is unlike my crested geckos, which didn't care about having a lid on the egg laying box.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

For my females I make sure they have a dish of calcium (I use Miner-all) A constant supply of mealies, and also supplement crickets 1-2 times weekly. Also a constant source of fresh water. Females conditioning is key...gotta be nice and plump, keep them healthy and you'll get a better hatch rate.

I use a smaller rubbermaid container with a 1.5in. hole in the lid for access...in the container I use sphagnum(sp?) moss, and coconut fiber for medium, and mist daily to ensure the box is damp....remember damp, not wet.

I usually don't introduce the egg laying box until two weeks after I introduce the male into the females enclosure....seems to have worked like a charm so far.

However I still have a female that refuses to lay in the egg box, she seems to prefer the dry substrate anywhere else in the enclosure.

-Jason
    Jason

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Breeding leos is a cinch. Besides what everyone else said, I wouldn't breed the female all that often, and ALWAYS keep the sexes separate. They only lay two, sometimes one, egg(s).Breeding the female too often, or keeping her with the male may cause her to waste away, as the eggs are fairly lrage compared to body size, and very taxing on the girl. When you put them together, they should mate within minutes.....usually.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady
    Breeding leos is a cinch. Besides what everyone else said, I wouldn't breed the female all that often, and ALWAYS keep the sexes separate. They only lay two, sometimes one, egg(s).Breeding the female too often, or keeping her with the male may cause her to waste away, as the eggs are fairly lrage compared to body size, and very taxing on the girl. When you put them together, they should mate within minutes.....usually.
    All of that...aaaand it only takes one mating session and the female can retain sperm to inseminate quite a few clutches of eggs.
    Jason