Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

0 members and 3,399 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Is this a respiratory infection?

I had my boa out today - and suddenly I felt quite a bit of wet on me (TBH I thought originally she had peed on me and then got her face in it) - but I think it came from her head end - and listening to her there was a bit of a snuffly sound. Her temps have been OK (they range from 80-82 cool end and about 88-90 hot end). I think I might increase them overnight - how much can I increase them to for a boa?

Our herp vet is not now open until Monday - should it be OK until then? My normal reaction would be to see the vet the next day - but it wouldn't be a herp one ...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Is this a respiratory infection?

maybe she had tooken a drink a little before you were holding her. i would wait a day or two and see if the weird breathing is still there.
    -marshall

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

How long have you had here.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Marshall - I had been holding her for about an hour - she may have had a drink before she came out then as she was actually near her water bowl - could she have held it that long and burped it up again?

Freakie Frog - I have had her for 3-4 months now - she was a year old when I got her and from a reputable and well known breeder here in the UK (she's a salmon hypo).

Well I managed to get a vet appt for tomorrow after all. Then I took out my contact lenses (so I can see better close up ) and really examined her closely. She now has now signs of runny nose or mouth or any wetness anywhere at all - I guess it would still be evident if it was an RI? And listenened closely and couldn't hear anything so I'm wondering if I have panicked a bit too soon. I've also increased the temp in her viv a few degrees. She seems perfectly normal otherwise, struggled a bit while I was examining her which should be the sign of being healthy rather than ill.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i would leave temps alone. raising the temps doesnt heal RI it just puts the symptons into remission to come back later.

i would still wait for a day or two to see if anything happens.
    -marshall

Thanks

I may leave it - I'll see in the morning - I've been reading all the symptoms on it and she doesn't have any - and in fact the fluid did seem just that - fluid and not mucousy - do you think she could have held water for an hour? I don't want to stress her by taking her on a 3 hour trip to the vet if she hadn't got anything.

Thanks

Well, an hour later and I got her out again when my family were back - no sign of any dampness or anything on her - and everyone listened closely and no-one can hear any noise at all from her. So I'm thinking it may be regurgitated water. She certainly seems to be healthy otherwise - I think now I may have over-reacted and should wait a couple of days and watch her to see.
    Last edited by Razaiel; 08-11-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

If your temps are right and the humidity is right then I wouldn't worry. The way I understand in it takes a real bad RI for it to drain like that (could be wrong). If you havent noticed any thing prior to this then it's more than likely no big thing. you did right to amke the appointment. Let me know how it turns out.. Best of luck.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

i couldnt dissagree more. the number one way to treat a ri is to raise the temps about 5 degs and lower the humidity. and just by doing this you can cure an ri. if ri could not be cured naturley then all the snakes in the wild that get them would die. ( think about it) a boa can live with ri for quite some time before the symptoms become verry apparent. i would highley recommend seeing a vet. if for nothing else just for peace of mind that you animal is healthy. please keep us poasted on your little guy.
    matt fisher

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fish21
    i couldnt dissagree more. the number one way to treat a ri is to raise the temps about 5 degs and lower the humidity. and just by doing this you can cure an ri. if ri could not be cured naturley then all the snakes in the wild that get them would die. ( think about it) a boa can live with ri for quite some time before the symptoms become verry apparent. i would highley recommend seeing a vet. if for nothing else just for peace of mind that you animal is healthy. please keep us poasted on your little guy.
    matt fisher
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Just an FYI ... In my experience, a captive ball pythons immune system is not strong enough to fight a respiratory infection on it's own ... bumping up temps will only boost the immune system enough to supress the infection, but not eliminate it totally ... which will be fine through the summer months, but then in the fall when temps are cooler and the air is dryer, the respiratory infection will return and likely be deeper in the lungs making it harder to treat.

If you even THINK that your ball python has a respiratory infection, take the animal to a vet and have a culture done ... The culture will not only identify whether or not your animal is sick, but it will also indicate the most effective anti-biotic for treating the infection.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    hmmmmmm.
    -marshall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast