Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,096

3 members and 3,093 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Need advice on Mean Kingsnake

Do you keep all your kings on the crushed walnut? I remember reading one time before about some guy keeping his king on crushed walnut, which the snake found very irritating, thus making it very aggressive due to the stress of the irritation. After some advice he changed his snake onto aspen bedding which did seem to change the demeanour of his snake into a more handlable, calm snake. Also someone else had problems with their snake getting crushed walnut lodged in the snakes nostrils whenever it went burrowing. I own two king snakes, an albino banded cali and a black king. The albino cali is an absolute dream to own, the only time she shows aggression is whenever she is in shed, other than that, even when feeding she remains cool, calm and collected lol. On the other hand my black king is a law onto herself, she gets handled when it suits her. When i do get the chance to handle her it usually lasts no more than five to ten minutes, then ill get a wee musk off her or she'll give me a wee nip which means playtimes over. The beauty of this is that i have two kingsnakes of totally contrasting natures and personalities which in my opinion is a good thing and i would never consider getting rid of my black king

Thanks

It sounds just like my Female Pueblan Milksnake, she is the meanest little thing. She will not spray or do anything else. She just waits for me to put my hand in her tank and she hunts my hand down trying to bite me, the total opposite of my Male Pueblan Milksnake. My Florida kings are the nicest and most calm of my king snakes. I use aspen and newspaper for substrate.

Thanks

I agree with Shelby's post. If you are willing to work with her and keep her, I would glove up and calmly hold her every so often. Just to get her to the point that you can move her for feeding and cleaning. Other then that just leave her be (unless something medically comes up of course) She's just being who she is. A snake. They aren't exactly born to cuddle anyhow.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Reptiles
    I agree with Shelby's post. If you are willing to work with her and keep her, I would glove up and calmly hold her every so often. Just to get her to the point that you can move her for feeding and cleaning. Other then that just leave her be (unless something medically comes up of course) She's just being who she is. A snake. They aren't exactly born to cuddle anyhow.
    Rusty
    I agree, my corn snake was nice until I brought him home, when he would start being VERY nervous of me. He isn't mean, but I just leave him be unless feeding or cleaning, he doesn't mind me cleaning though :p
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12