Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,977

0 members and 2,977 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Ready to strike

Thanks

Ready to strike

So I have been following the great advice given here on taking care of my new BP with feeding and husbandry. She is feeding great now with 3 good consistant feedings and has gone through a shed (still has a little bit of retained shed and eye cap left). Anyway I have not handled her much at all over the past 4-5 weeks that I have had her and now I was thinking it is about time to start some small sessions. I was going to get her today and the minute I pick up her hide to check on her she is in strike position. This little snake does not ball up at all. Even with routine tank maintenence she is ready to strike through her hide. So how the hell do you try to grab a snake that appears to want to bite you? I feed her late at night so I know its not a feeding response since it is mid afternoon when I do tank maintenence and attempt to handle her. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Re: Ready to strike

pick it up anyways, it'll only get worse if you dont, and dont be hesitant, thats a good way to get bit, just reach in and grab it, but not right near its head or face, if that makes any sense :S

Thanks

The S position is normal, I`ve never seen any CB BPs ball up.
    All snakes will get to that position when they`re on alert mode but don`t necessarily strike, especially captive BPs. Mine does that all the time.
    Just touch or stroke it gently but keep your hands away from it`s head, and then pick it up gently with no hesitations. This way your snake will know that you`re not going to harm her and will soon adapt to handling. Just wash your hands and make sure there`s no rodent scent left if you`ve been handling rats/mice before handling your snake.
    Handle your snake at least once a week so it will be used to it but never handle your snake for at least 48hrs after feeding.

BPs are nocturnal, so I never handle mine during the day unless if he`s out of his hide and exploring.

Thanks

OK, thanks for the great info, will give it a try. Wish I wasnt so hesitant about getting bit! With time and pracitce I guess.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Adam gave some great advice on this. But first they are right the S neck thing is normal. My Odin is kinda hissy. He likes to puff up and blow its no biggie. And now for Adams words of wisdom. If it worries you reach in from behind the snake. As you do touch its head with a water misting bottle or somthing. Just touch it's head they will move their head back and stop the the S position and then pick him/her up.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I think with time and experience this sort of thing just doesn't affect you much anymore. We've had our BP's long enough now that if one of them cops the S attitude with me when I'm doing cage maintenance I just sort of expect that's being a normal snake thing and give them a tap to distract them or use their hide to block anything from happening. Most times it's just grumpy snake trying to snooze while I change their water stuff so it's nothing really to worry over.

I really think using gloves at first till you feel more confident is a good thing. Helps you feel mor confident and the snake I think picks up on your fears so if the gloves help with that, I figure it's a good thing till you and the snake have figured each other out.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks for all your help, I'll give those ideas a try!