Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

2 members and 3,153 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Update of the Peach-throat

Heyo, just had to share!
    I've been varieing the things I feed Charity. She likes chopped up rat/mouse. She doesn't care for crickets, although she will eat some. Likes earthworms, but slings them around,a nd sometimes ignroes them until they slide out of the dish to hide in the substrate. I'm assuming she finds some of them later while digging around. Mealworms, ick, she turns her nose up at them, however, on the advice of a place that sells monitors etc, I tried her with some high quality canned cat food, adding in calcium/vitamin powder. She had that and chopped up pinkies yesterday and she really went for it! And she was at her dish within 5 minutes of me clsoeing the cage back, so she is learning that I put good stuff in that dish when I take it out. Clean water and a full belly, then she went right into her hide to sleep. Lazy lizard.
    I looked at a full grown peachie at a reptile show that they said was eating canned cat food, which is why I thought to try it.
    She still doesn't like it if I slide the top of the tank open, and runs, but doesn't go into her hide.
    Wolfy

Thanks

Re: Update of the Peach-throat

Cat (or dog) food isn't recommended for monitors. It's for cats and dogs. Cat food can actually contain quite a lot of fat. Monitors need whole foods and insects.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Razaiel
    Cat (or dog) food isn't recommended for monitors. It's for cats and dogs. Cat food can actually contain quite a lot of fat. Monitors need whole foods and insects.
    well said!!

you can try a lot of things for food. shrimp, prawns, crayfish, fish, snails, quail chicks, eggs, etc.
    -marshall

Thanks

She enjoys boiled egg, chopped pinkies, earthworms, haven't tried the shrimp/crayfish yet, she WILL eat crickets, although she sulks about it.
    Here is a updated picture of her cage with dirt, I know it isn't deep, but she needs more climbing space. She loves digging small holes everywhere,a nd I am thinkin gof putting in earthworms in the dirt. Then when she digs she can find them and eat them too. More activity.

Wolfy(still freaking awaiting the vet phone call, and trying to keep busy)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

it looks good. definitely put some earthworms in the dirt. they'll be your little "clean-up crew" plus it will be very enriching for her to dig them up and eat them just like you said.
    -marshall

Thanks

OMG. Approval? At last? YAY! Of course I am considering selling her now.. lol. But glad to see I got a good set up for her anyway! Thanks!
    Wolfy

Thanks

I just love Peach Throats as babies. I'm glad she is getting a variety of foods. I do agree with the statement above. Dog and Cat foods are better left for the dogs and cats.
    She is a little cutie.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

and crows, its great for crows. thats a really cute monitor why'd you wanna sell it?

Thanks

Space concerns. Now that I have Moggie that doesn't mind being handled, I'd like to find someone wanting to keep a peachthroat that understands better than I did about how flighty they are. She is wonderful and gorgeous(way way prettier than Moggie the blackthroat, but don't tell Moggie I said that) and unfortunately hates to be touched in any way. Moggie already comes out and lets me scratch her neck and pick her up. Charity will be a beautiful display animal. I already have tons of ball pythons, and a rat colony, in addition to my 8 dogs, and 2 cats. Doesn't leave much space for me already.
    Otherwise I'd just construct her a huge display cage(and may end up doing that anyway if I can't find someone to take her) and have her to look at and coo over, from the other side of the glass.
    She LOVES her dirt by the way. I'm really glad I did go with it. She digs all over.
    Wolfy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

has she dug any burrows? you might want to make it a little deeper if she loves it so much.
    -marshall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast