Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,123

1 members and 3,122 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

What could this be? - Yes I WILL go to the vet!

Through a frustrating tale of noncommunication I got a replacement from that breeder (frustrating but I'm still hopefully getting a snake from Corey tomorrow if I can track him down in town!). I had orey out today just to generally check him over since I've left him alone for the first three days.
    I was looking at his face and he seems to have some grey residue/discharge (it looks dry but it could be wet, I couldn't exactly reach in there) in one of the heat pits closer to his right eye. He's blue right now so I'm going to see what happens to it after he sheds and if it's still there, he is going to the vet posthaste unless this is a symptom of something very, very serious in which case I will be there sooner. Is it the beginning of an RI?

Things that have NOT happened: Bubbles, gurgles, whistles, opening his mouth, mites, star gazing, lying on his back
    Things I did see: one tick (since gone!), nice defensive reactions (rolling over when flipped, head shy, squeezing)
    Husbandry: Newspaper substrate, 82 on cool side 92 on hot, humidity at 65-70% cause he's blue, residing in a rubbermaid. I got him on Monday. He's about four months old.
    Bonus Photo:

1.0 Ball Python, Orey
    I almost always have new snake photos - check here!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: What could this be? - Yes I WILL go to the vet!

If you found a tick its a wild caught or captive hatched.Hope this one does better then Hero.I advise taking it to a vet to get dewormed or at least a stool sample. What did he do just drop it off without giving you a chance to tell him you wanted a refund? Keep us posted
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    If you found a tick its a wild caught or captive hatched.Hope this one does better then Hero.What did he do just drop it off without giving you a chance to tell him you wanted a refund? Keep us posted
    Pretty much, Joe! Captive Hatch is basically what I'm assuming, because he does have that tick. Any idea on what resides in that pit? it looks greyish.

And don't worry Joe, my suspicion about him is the same. Quarantine will SO be in effect!
    1.0 Ball Python, Orey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mousch
    Pretty much, Joe! Captive Hatch is basically what I'm assuming, because he does have that tick. Any idea on what resides in that pit? it looks greyish.

And don't worry Joe, my suspicion about him is the same. Quarantine will SO be in effect!
    Without really looking at the snake its hard to tell.It might be a tick but not positiveas i can not tell since i am unable to look at the snake(sorry for reapeting this).
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Sorry. I can try and get a photo.. I doubt he'll stay still long enough!
    1.0 Ball Python, Orey

Thanks

Sorry. I can try and get a photo.. I doubt he'll stay still long enough!
    Its ok i really can not tell what it could be for sure by looking at a pic.I would make a vet app and let him figure it out for sure.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

That's my plan. He should shed in the next couple of days. if it's still there after his shed, we're paying the vet a visit.
    1.0 Ball Python, Orey

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: What could this be? - Yes I WILL go to the vet!

That's my plan. He should shed in the next couple of days. if it's still there after his shed, we're paying the vet a visit.
    Sounds like a good plan to me .
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Don't know what others think, but I think he's a little bit on the thin side. Is he captive bred? I don't know who the breeder is but I would be very concerned at finding a tick on a snake that's been captive bred. That suggests to me a severe lack of basic hygiene Either that, or the snake is wild caught.

You are doing exactly the right thing in taking Orey to the vet asap. Until then I'd keep him in quarantine well away from your other snakes and when you get your other BP from Corey, please keep them well away from each other and housed separately.

Don't know if this pic is close up enough for you to see Bobby's heat sensors and nose, but it should be clean.

Here's a side-on view.

Bobby is our rescue BP - and this is what he looked like when we first got him. Horribly skinny but with good food and a lot of TLC he made a full recovery and is a beautiful snake now as you can see

I hope this is some help to you.

Thanks

Alright I took a photo, though I know it isn't the same as a vet visit.

I threw in the other photos to compare the other side.. and because I think they came out really well
    Grey pit side (click for HUGE):

Healthy side:

The rest look healthy. Just that one bothers me. If it's not gone with this shed (he's jsut clearing after blue, so that should be in the next couple of days) we're heading on over there.

The BP I get from Corey has all the enclosure here. It will be in a seperate room and contact will NOT happen. I have learned a few things in my time here! (I've learned more than I could place any value, truly )
    1.0 Ball Python, Orey

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast