Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,385

1 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Red Tail growth Rate

I have a BP right now and im thinking of buying a bigger enclosure for her. So im going to have a 20L open. I was wondering how long it will take for a red tail to outgrow that size enclosure? I really would like to have one bc they are awsome looking. When fully grown what would be a good size enclosure bc i know they get to 6+ feet easily. If you started with a baby and have any help it is greatly appreciated.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Red Tail growth Rate

The growth rate depends on a lot of factors with the main being
    Temps
    locality(where they come from)
    and feeding

My female is a "colombian" and shes around 2 years old, shes a bit over 5'. At 1 year old she was around 3'. Look into Hogg Island Boas. Males max out at about 4-5' and females over 6' are rare. It would take 1-1/2 years to out grow a 20 long for a male. For an adult redtail, I like 4' by 2' for males and 6' by 2' for females. This is my oppinion. Look around at www.riobravoreptiles.com and see what locality ma work for you. In general, island localities are smaller at adult size. Some boas like some of the mexican localities get 3' tops. The TRUE redtails like Suri or Guyana boas can get 8-10'+!!! Just do your research and ask many questions.
    Hope this helps
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I guess the most popular red-tails in pet shops are colombian? i would like a normal red tail they are so red. They just look so big bc their heads are huge. Are they pretty docile with people?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikehorton
    I guess the most popular red-tails in pet shops are colombian? i would like a normal red tail they are so red. They just look so big bc their heads are huge. Are they pretty docile with people?
    Most of them are very docile, but the popular ones (the Colombian BCIs) are not nearly as red as the BCCs that are a little more expensive and not as common. I have a BCI that is about a year and a half and almost 6 feet long. I let him out of his cage every night to roam around the room. He's pretty mellow and just likes to find a comfortable spot and sit there for hours, although usually when I go to put him back he will hiss at me. Of course if someone woke me up and moved me from a comfy spot I would hiss at them too.

-Lawrence

Thanks

BCC are the better looking USUALLY, most are more expensive like said and they get a bit larger.
    ~Jake~

Thanks

Whats a BCC And a BCI? The way the look, genetics? Sorry i'm a newbie at this slang.

Thanks

BCI is boa constrictor imperator, i.e., the common red tail or Columbian boa. BCC is boa constrictor constrictor, i.e., true red tail, Surinam, or Guyana (and a couple other localities).

The current HPOM picture is my bcc Surinam Carmen - their main characteristic is the bright red tail and generally more contrast between saddles and main body color and/or "peaks" on their saddles.

BCC generally get bigger and can be a bit more high maintenance. BCI are, from what I've read, a bit easier to keep, eat everything in sight, etc. =)

I think the general adult lengths between the two are 6-8' for BCI, 8'-10' for BCC...but take that with a grain of salt as there are certainly BCI longer than 8' and some BCC in the 7-8' range...and some beyond 10'.

Our BCC is currently 34" and 250g and resides in a 20L. While we haven't firmly decided which manufacturer and what size cage to move her in when she outgrows the 20L, she's be in at least a 4'x2' Boaphile or larger.

Now my question: I've seen mentioned once or twice about how the temperature effects how boas grow. Can someone please explain in a bit more detail what this is about?
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

See I try to give my BP as much room as possible. I measured her around 2 feet or so. Thats why im wondering about sizes of boas, because if i do get one i;m building a custom cage. Boas are arboreal right? I would like a climbing snake for some reason,

Thanks

Some boas are arboreal but bci and bcc as adults (and more experienced people correct me if I'm wrong) are not especially arboreal and will do fine without stuff to climb on - but they sure are climby as babies!
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra
    Now my question: I've seen mentioned once or twice about how the temperature effects how boas grow. Can someone please explain in a bit more detail what this is about?
    The higher the temps, the higher their metabalism is therefore the faster they can digest and process a meal.
    Hope this makes sense.
    ~Jake~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast