Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,794

2 members and 2,792 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Babies and bp

Thanks

Question Babies and bp

Hello,

I have a small child that is about a year and a half and Im pretty sure Im not the only one here with a family. So I was wondering for all you people with babies and small children, were you ever worried about having such a big snake in the house. Is your child opening the cage and getting hurt something you worry about? I don't have a bp yet but is it something I should wait on until my son is 4 years older or am I just being paranoid (sp?)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Babies and bp

I have a 2 year old, and I find having the BP's in the house a great opportunity to counteract the future damage that could be done by hollywood and tv. I wouldn't allow him to hold the snakes, just pet them and be around them in general so he is unafraid. With certain, common sense precautions, you child wouldn't be in much danger with a well tamed snake.

Also, I wouldn't consider a ball python a big snake. Now if you were thinking about obtaining something equivelent to a burmese, I might have something to say about that.

Thanks

If I had smaller kids, I would be more concerned about them fiddling with the cage resulting in an escapee. Mine are 4 and 6, and both know very well not to mess with the tubs in the rack. Neither have ever given me any cause to worry. Now with friends coming over, I am starting to worry a bit. I have resorted to locking that room.

As for overpowering my children.... nah. I always monitor all interaction between the two.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I have a 3-month-old and will be teaching her not to go into the snake room without mom or dad. I'm not worried about any harm coming from the snakes as they really aren't big at all...my biggest is the width of my forearm and his head could cover a 50-cent piece...not much at all. If I had something like a burm or a retic, then I'd be worried, but not with my ball pythons. Zoe will always be supervised when around them.
    Animals are my passion and my life.

Never, ever underestimate the vital importance of strict and proper quarantine. There is no such thing as being too careful. One mistake can cost a world of damage, and regret that lasts a lifetime.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't have children but smaller kids I would monitor. Little kids think " If mom and dad are scared for it why should I be?" just keep a close eye on them and the snake and they should be fine.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone.