Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,162

0 members and 3,162 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs up OMG... Have to share...

So the 40 Watt bulb went out in the viv last night so we headed out today to get a new bulb from Pet Smart just down the road. My son, he's 5 1/2 years old, loves going there because it means we get to take our BP to a store and don't have to hide him. Anyway, we walked in the store and went about looking for the bulb and went through the normal animal rounds... Anyway this man who was like 20 feet from me said, "is that a real snake?"
    "Yes it is, he will not hurt you."
    "Man, your son is brave."
    "Actually, my son is very allergic to anything with fur or hair so this is a great pet for us." As Linda, our BP, is wrapped around his neck. I then said to Gabriel, my son, "come over here."
    The man took a few steps back and said, "no you stay right there don't come over here. DON'T COME ANY CLOSER"
    "Listen I would never try and scare someone we will just go about our way."
    "Well I think I am just going to take my break now and I'll wait for you to leave, I only do the dog food."
    Just then a huge dovermin Pincher dog that looked the girth of a rot wyler walked by and he didn't flinch. I said to him, "That dog doesn't scare you though?"
    "No, it's a dog"
    "So you think your chances of getting bit by this small BP is greater than that dog bitting you?"
    He kind of just stared at me and I continued...
    "To be honest that snake is the best pet I have ever had. I would have bit my son by now and he is just amazing. My parents have a dog and it bites my son all the time. Anyway, you watch for us to leave and then you can come back to what you were doing. I'm sorry you don't know more about ball pythons that you feel otherwise."

Anyway, it was a very odd situation that I've never been in before with a "person of the public". A grown man petrified yet a huge dog is allowed to idly pass.

Mackenzie
    1.0 CBCH BP Normal (Linda)
    Born Oct. 2005

Thanks

Re: OMG... Have to share...

Did you tell him it wasn't poisonous!!
    bryan

Thanks

there comes a time when talking is no longer worth your breath!!

Mackenzie
    Born Oct. 2005

Thanks

That's why i don't take my snake out in public.

Thanks

What a complete moron, lol.
    I would avoid taking your snake to stores though; mites are always a danger. Not to mention, comments by ignorant humans!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Wow, you take your snake shopping! Does he ride shot-gun (LOL) I would be afraid people would start to scream and carry-on. I would think that, the trip there alone may stress out the snake. To each his own I guess. I'm not putting you down or anything, it's just that I don't think the world is ready for snakes in public places.
    1.0 Amel Corn (Pepino) 0.1 Black Lab (Raven a.k.a. "The Girl") 1.0 Normal BP(Gambit)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I disagree. Ball pythons are perfect to introduce the general public to the idea that snakes are PETS not evil creatures out to get them. I don't take mine into reptile stores, but the petsmart here doesn't carry snakes. And the reptiles are closed away and I don't go there.
    The community has small festivals near my shop(couple blocks) and I always try to take one of the balls out there and I have had several people who start out appalled at the mere idea, and end up fussing that I have to walk off and they have to stop patting him. I've even had a tiny girl that hid behind a tree, her mom asked if she could pet the snake to show the little girl that snakes were not so bad. I said "Oh, she can come see"
    "No, she won't come over! She is terrified of snakes."
    So predictably, she was petting the snake in about 20 minutes. Mom was amazed, as were the small group of facinated people.
    Let's face it, snakes need good press. I can't get an article, but I can get a few people at a time.
    Wolfy

Registered User SnakesvsRodents's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL,.. that's hilarious. I would have chased him around the store with it to freak him out even more.With out harming it of course, and no not him the snake .I can just imagine it.
    Bernie

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I know that we all handle and enjoy our snakes differently. All the signs that would show a "stressed snake" have never appeared when we've taken him out in public. He stays on his perch around my son's neck and doesn't go anywhere else. I think it's great for people to see my little 5 1/2 year old son with this "threatening" ball python around his neck. It kind of makes them look silly for being afraid and has sparked many conversations. We would never do anything to Linda, our BP, and I think it has become more of her routine to go out with us in public to get her viv needs or food needs rather than a stress period. He has never gone off feed and I think it's because this may just seem a normal experience for her.

The guy at the pet store was a first though. It's like he wanted to talk to me to tell me how afraid he was but he wasn't willing to go past that like everyone else we've conversed with.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. Dogs vs a non venemous, CBB, small ball python.... I'll take my chances with the ball python any day!!

Mackenzie
    Born Oct. 2005

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound
    I disagree. Ball pythons are perfect to introduce the general public to the idea that snakes are PETS not evil creatures out to get them. .......

I've even had a tiny girl that hid behind a tree, her mom asked if she could pet the snake to show the little girl that snakes were not so bad. I said "Oh, she can come see"
    "No, she won't come over! She is terrified of snakes."
    So predictably, she was petting the snake in about 20 minutes. Mom was amazed, as were the small group of facinated people.
    Let's face it, snakes need good press. I can't get an article, but I can get a few people at a time.
    Wolfy
    Fear of snakes for 99% of the population is media driven. Shows like the big squeeze and movies like snakes on a plane give the worst kind.

I have said it before if you were to take Bob Clarks fluffy into a class full of 2 graders down to preschool. every kid in there would be running to pet the snake.

Take the same kids 10 years later and 3 of them would be willing to be in the same room with fluffy and those kids would be the weird ones.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast