Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

2 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Update on Fluffy's clutch + pics

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture
    Isn't this a task that she, and the rest of the female species, is perfectly capable of? I do have an incubator also, that I bought and prepared for artificial incubation, but she wanted those eggs, they are hers. As a first-time breeder I have no experience with either methods of incubation, so I will learn by trial and error. I know that ball pythons are one of the species that we understand exactly what kind of conditions are needed to artificially incubate eggs, and that it is very successful. But I don't believe that just because of that it is not possible for maternal incubation to be successful as well. There are still species of snakes where maternal incubation is common and not looked down upon. I don't think you can really say the decision I have made is wrong as opposed to "familiariing yourself with artifical incubation and doing what's 'right' for your snakes."
    Just because she is capable of performing the task doesn't mean that it is what's best for her. When we keep these animals in captivity, its our responsibility to do what is right for them. If they don't need to be subjected to the additional stress of maternal incubation, then why do it? I was merely giving you the reasons for not doing it. She is your snake, and you have to make the decision you think is best. Rock on!

Thanks

As a first-time breeder I have no experience with either methods of incubation, so I will learn by trial and error.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but it borders on ignorance to acknowledge your inexperience and still reject the advice of those with more experience than you. Why run into the error if you don't have to?

But I don't believe that just because of that it is not possible for maternal incubation to be successful as well.
    Possible, yes...successful, maybe...reliable, not with ball pythons! Maternal incubation in ball pythons evolved to synergize with the conditions found in their native habitat, which we keepers can just barely eek out a simulation of that which they can thrive in. Your reasoning is flawed because you fail to consider the differences between conditions in the wild and conditions in captivity.

There are still species of snakes where maternal incubation is common and not looked down upon.
    Maybe there are, but ball pythons are not one of them. This statement has no relevence to the arguement you present.

I don't think you can really say the decision I have made is wrong as opposed to "familiariing yourself with artifical incubation and doing what's 'right' for your snakes."
    I'll go out on a limb and say that the decision you have made may not, whether intentionally or intentionally, have been in the best interests of the mother and the embryos. Being suprised with eggs is one thing, but planning for it and having incubation equipment and not taking advantage of it was not, in my opinion, a good decision with the best interests of the animals in mind.
    -Brad

Thanks

Before I made this decision I read about both artificial incubation and maternal, and neither one said that the other was a wrong choice.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

She's your snake. Do what you want.

The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating. We'll all have our chance to praise you or dump on you when we know the outcome. Best wishes for healthy mom and babies.
    2.1.0 Kidletts
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Rex)
    0.0.1 Okeetee Corn (Maizey)
    1.1.0 BCI (Lancelot & Ruby)
    0.1.0 Cat (Ginger)
    1.0.0 Pughuahua (Ranger)

Thanks

Thanks, I hope they do okay.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

in the wild does the mum have the luxury of someone taking her eggs and chucking em in aplastic tub?? NO u are allowing her to fulfill what is her natural role in life. If it was not suitable for the mothers to do, natural evolution would have stopped it.

I hope to breed royals this season and I will remove any eggs if I get any as I like has been said want to get the mum feeding again as soon as possible, but if I get several clutches I may try one maternally.

Best of luck mate!!!

Peter
    The World is as delicate as a spiders web. If you touch one thread, you send shudders running through the other threads. We are not just touching the web, we are tearing holes in it! - Gerald Durrell

Thanks

I have been following this thread from day one and find it very interesting. Although I have no experience in the area of breeding, I have come across this article from Jay Martin Reptiles and thought others following this thread may be intersted in it.

http://www.jaymartinreptiles.com/articles/maternal.pdf

BTW, hope everything works out for you Rapture.
    Best of luck.
    Jeff

"Parents are not interested in justice, they're interested in peace and quiet."
    -Bill Cosby-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RockSolid
    I have been following this thread from day one and find it very interesting. Although I have no experience in the area of breeding, I have come across this article from Jay Martin Reptiles and thought others following this thread may be intersted in it.

http://www.jaymartinreptiles.com/articles/maternal.pdf

BTW, hope everything works out for you Rapture.
    Best of luck.
    That article points out a benefit for the animal for artificial incubation, but I hardly think beauty and cost savings are beneficial to the eggs or the mom. I wasn't much impressed, but I'm tired and grumpy soooo.....
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenburm
    in the wild does the mum have the luxury of someone taking her eggs and chucking em in aplastic tub?? NO u are allowing her to fulfill what is her natural role in life. If it was not suitable for the mothers to do, natural evolution would have stopped it.

I hope to breed royals this season and I will remove any eggs if I get any as I like has been said want to get the mum feeding again as soon as possible, but if I get several clutches I may try one maternally.

Best of luck mate!!!

Peter

Peter,

These snakes are not in the wild. They are living in captivity in plastic enclosures. There is no comparison.

Thanks

Well they might be in a plastic tub but does that make the female any less able to take care of her eggs? But the conditions in the encloser would play apart in the hole thing. There is still some techneq involved in both. I think it will work out, but we will see. I wish you the best of luck.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast