Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

0 members and 3,422 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Snakes are fashion accessories or "cool"...

I hate it when people say stuff like that. They're right of course but I'd like nothing more than to wrap her round my wrist and fling her about with a bunch of 5-year-olds.
    Sam

Thanks

Sass. Well, prehaps you're right and my computer knew it because it wont let me send via computer only by going through mac.com GRAH! people and their insanity.

Banned
    Thanks

I've seen quite a few of these ads, the fact is these classifieds are quite common and renting snakes for parties, photo shoots, music videos and movies is growing in popularity. You would be surprised at how many of these reptile party planners are out there under the names Prehistoric Parties, Slithery Celebrations, etc, etc.

Some treat the animals with respect and do more of an educational show and tell, some demand proper care and handling of their snakes and require a certain temperature be kept at all time, as well as remain present throughout the process, etc. Others could care less what you do with the snakes or who or how they are handled as long as you pay the fee!! Pay the fee, sign the waiver, take the snakes and bring them back in 2-4-6hrs!

It has it's positives and negatives. One positive I see, is it may open a few doors and more interest for herps in general. The public in general is no longer just seeing these snakes on the Discovery Channel eating a croc in the Amazon or on the local news killing the neighbors cat. They see more and more regular people like you and I interacting with these beautiful snakes without the guarantee of instant death by either being crushed or poisoned by that deadly Ball Python!

The cons are, the possible neglect to the snakes themselves, if someone were to get bit that positive PR can quickly turn negative, the dangers of some idiot endangering the snake and others, like most fashionable pets the more impulse buyers in the hobby the worse it will be in the long run for the snakes and the true hobbyist.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssscales
    I've seen quite a few of these ads, the fact is these classifieds are quite common and renting snakes for parties, photo shoots, music videos and movies is growing in popularity. You would be surprised at how many of these reptile party planners are out there under the names Prehistoric Parties, Slithery Celebrations, etc, etc.

Some treat the animals with respect and do more of an educational show and tell, some demand proper care and handling of their snakes and require a certain temperature be kept at all time, as well as remain present throughout the process, etc. Others could care less what you do with the snakes or who or how they are handled as long as you pay the fee!! Pay the fee, sign the waiver, take the snakes and bring them back in 2-4-6hrs!

It has it's positives and negatives. One positive I see, is it may open a few doors and more interest for herps in general. The public in general is no longer just seeing these snakes on the Discovery Channel eating a croc in the Amazon or on the local news killing the neighbors cat. They see more and more regular people like you and I interacting with these beautiful snakes without the guarantee of instant death by either being crushed or poisoned by that deadly Ball Python!

The cons are, the possible neglect to the snakes themselves, if someone were to get bit that positive PR can quickly turn negative, the dangers of some idiot endangering the snake and others, like most fashionable pets the more impulse buyers in the hobby the worse it will be in the long run for the snakes and the true hobbyist.
    Pros and cons both well said . I do think that if these were dogs and cats and hampsters that were just being pawned off the PETA people would be all over them. People tend to have a different view of reptiles and don't really seem to put them in the same class as dogs and cats. They require more attention and more care than a dog or cat for the most part.
    This type of behavior is totaly unexceptable. And I only hope that some happens that will teach these people that reptiles are animals with needs and feelings and can stress. My olny hope is that this leason comes with out expence to the animals or to keepers that truly care and look out for their Herp companions.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

::lamenting the loss of common sense; was it ever common?::
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Banned
    Thanks

If used properly it is a good thing for people to see Reptiles in general in a different and positive light. Educational classes, more educational videos, etc, etc.

Unfortunately these things (especially when you read an ad in those words) end up bad for the snake and reptile lovers! I think reptiles/snakes as pets for the masses would be great for 5 minutes and then would add up to a lifetime of negatives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12