Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

2 members and 3,267 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

View Poll Results: What is your feelings on Pitbulls?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love them! I wouldn't own any other breed!

18 40.00%
  • I would NEVER own one!

10 22.22%
  • A dog is a dog! I have not real opinion!

17 37.78%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Talking Re: Just a little info on Pitbulls

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    What exactly do you disagree with? Yes, pits are protective.. and very good guardians if they are properly socialized. I didn't mean they are always friendly with everyone all the time, they can learn who is a threatening person (such as a burglar) and who is a friend.

For many years pits were bred to have a heightened prey drive and aggression towards other dogs to make them better pit fighters. So.. many pits today aren't crazy about other dogs.. not always, but we're always very careful at the groom shop to keep pits and dogs like them away from other dogs.
    I am sorry i thought you said pits never get along with other dogs .Thats what i get for responding and listening to the kid at the same time lol.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Re: Just a little info on Pitbulls

I'm glad I got a good response with this!

Most people that dislike pitbulls usually have never been around one to give them the chance. One classic example of this is my parents. Growing up they both had had many dogs, but never a pitbull or bully type dog. Soon after buying my own home and moving out I got a pitbull puppy. They though I was crazy. They even bought me a MUZZEL to use if they were over. (Which upset me, but that's a different story..lol)

NOW, I have two and they love my dogs! They understand now the breed is extreamly misjudged. They are the most lovable and loyal dogs. They would take either of them in a heartbeat, if I'd let them.

Thanks

I have a pitbull and i love them to death, they get such a bad rep.,and there illegal in my small town of 900 people, but a few of us still have them.I have recently moved but, my old neighbor, breeds and sells pits. and before i moved i helped him, like, cleaning the cages, feeding, watering, bathing, shots for the pups, etc. it was awsome, considering i was only 12 it was really cool, and when he went on vacation me and my dad would go over and take care of them it was really fun.Now he lives out in the country, and we visit him every once in a while, but im almost 15, and when I turn 16 i'll be out there alot more

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daaangconcepts
    I'm glad I got a good response with this!

Most people that dislike pitbulls usually have never been around one to give them the chance. One classic example of this is my parents. Growing up they both had had many dogs, but never a pitbull or bully type dog. Soon after buying my own home and moving out I got a pitbull puppy. They though I was crazy. They even bought me a MUZZEL to use if they were over. (Which upset me, but that's a different story..lol)

NOW, I have two and they love my dogs! They understand now the breed is extreamly misjudged. They are the most lovable and loyal dogs. They would take either of them in a heartbeat, if I'd let them.
    I had a similar experience when I got a pitbull puppy.

Another comment I have is about pitbulls not liking other dogs. It all depends on how much they socialize with other dogs. Where I live there are alot of dog parks and I would take mine there several times a week. She got along great with all of the other dogs, and I think that this is the key to having a friendly dog. If they are around people and other dogs they will be friendly towards them and not aggressive.

It is also amazing how ignorant people react to them. I was in the dog park with her when she was young and she was playing with an italian greyhound. The owner of the greyhound saw them playing and ran over and picked her dog up because she was afraid that my pit would "eat" her dog.

Thanks

I have always said there are no bad dogs or breeds of dogs only bad owners.

By the way picture #14 rocks! That's the breed I am getting the first of the year.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

My man's cousins both have Pits, and their dogs are the big, silly kind of dog that just wants to play all the time.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Most pits I've met are silly and just want to play all the time. lol

My favorite bully breed is the standard bull terrier. I'll have one someday..

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

My hubby loves the bull terrier also! Maybe one day in the future we would get one. My two are a handfull as it is already though.

Just a question for everyone...

What do you use as a correction method. When the dog does something they shouldn't have (like potty on the floor, or tear up a roll of paper towels or newspaper..lol)

I use a spray bottle. For me it works far better then any other method I've tried. I just spray them with the water. All I have to do now is pick up the bottle, its kinda funny especially when I'm using it for something else, the doggies go run and hide. LOL...I shouldn't laugh but its still funny!

Thanks

I have a pit bull. We love him. He is the sweetest dog. He would rather lick you to death than bite you.

We also have a yellow lab. The two of them get along perfectly. Actually when they wrestle its the lab that always wins.....

Thanks

Here are my babies..

jinx and jazmin

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast