Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

0 members and 3,191 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Good Price

Thanks

Good Price

I was reading the pet section in the illionois classified ads and came across one saying:
    5 1/2 Foot Red Tail Boa,55 gallon tank, lid, heaters, a everything, $350 o.b.o. im not really that enterested i was just wondering if this was a good deal or not, i would think you would be upgrading the enclosure soon.

Thanks

Re: Good Price

Are you wanting a breeder or a pet? Is this boa a female or a male? Do you need all of the caging and accessories?
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

"im not really that enterested i was just wondering if this was a good deal or not
    " lol

Thanks

Really depends on the condition of the boa...if he needs thousands of dollars in vet bill to treat him/her then, No...not a good deal.
    Jason

Thanks

Check it out and let us know any major details (sex, condition, etc.)

Thanks

I would want more info, too. I know ads can't be that descriptive, esp. in the classifieds of the newspaper; go give it a look (if you're serious about wanting one; they are pretty BIG snakes...)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Banned
    Thanks

It all depends, like most have asked, we need more details.

A 5.5ft normal boa may advertise anywhere from free to good home to $100 to $200 to $300 depending on the quality, health, sex, weight, if he/she is a proven breeder, etc, etc, etc.

More than likely these classifieds with tank and all are probably a family pet that got too big and they want to get rid of it. I would not take the fish tank or all the accessories depending on what they are. In a case like this you could probably offer them $100-$150 for the snake and lose the extras.

Now whether he/she is worth $150 or $300 depends on a few things and how much it's worth to you.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssscales
    It all depends, like most have asked, we need more details.

A 5.5ft normal boa may advertise anywhere from free to good home to $100 to $200 to $300 depending on the quality, health, sex, weight, if he/she is a proven breeder, etc, etc, etc.

More than likely these classifieds with tank and all are probably a family pet that got too big and they want to get rid of it. I would not take the fish tank or all the accessories depending on what they are. In a case like this you could probably offer them $100-$150 for the snake and lose the extras.

Now whether he/she is worth $150 or $300 depends on a few things and how much it's worth to you.
    Got to agree!!!
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

i have gotten two snakes from adds like these. both seemed to be in good shape at first glance. after you get them home you notice a little wheezing noise coming from there cage. oh crap!!!! they both had RI. after about 100 $$ vet bill each theywere not that good of a deal. if you are relly interested in a boa i would strongley recomend you save your $$$ and go and buy a baby from a breeder with a good rep. there are quite a few good ones on here. and if you are thinking you dont want a baby because you want a large boa. dont worry they get big fast almost 4 ft in the first year. and a 55 gal fish tank is not near big enaugh for a 5.5 ft boa. he needs at least 4ft by 2ft. i see these deals all the time. just remember that there is aloways a reason that someone is selling a snake. if they say we just dont have the time to give it the attention it needs. be verry werry. its not like it is a puppy, snakes dont need that much attention in the first place. about 10 mins a week. LOL. best of luck with your decision.

Matt Fisher

Banned
    Thanks

If it's someone that has a Boa in a 55gln tank most likely it was a pet snake they bought or bought their kid when it was 24" and all of a few years later it's 5ft+, needs more space, a new cage, the kids don't play with it anymore, Jr no longer sees it as a cool pet. You see quite a few of these classifieds and if they don't sell or give them away, they usually end up lose in the nearest wildlife area. I would give the snake a good once over for any obvious problems such as mouth rot, scale rot, poor shed, wheezing, etc, etc.

Otherwise, like Matt said already, be weary of these sellers and the health of the snake. Sometimes you get a great deal like a pet 2000g female BP for free or you could bring home some sick snake and possibly a huge headache if it gets into your collection.