Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

0 members and 3,392 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Re: Questions for the General Public

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel's Balls
    You missed my point......to state it in a phrase...your job as a science teacher is to make science come alive!
    Which is what I plan to do while encouraging out-of-class learning. plain and simple. Can't put it in any clearer terms.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melicious

I'm a junior in college, and I just changed my major, so I'll be in college for a while. I know about these lazy students, and they are the driving force behind my wanting to teach. If I can get to these students, I've got it made. It'll take great amounts of dedication, frustration, etc, but I'm willing to give it a go. That, and if I can get Ophelia out from under my fingers, that'll be good too. ^_^
    I went into teaching with that same idea... unfortunately, you are gonna have to realise, that most of the time, when you get an older student who is lazy or shows little driving force to be successful in school, it is rare to turn them around... so dont let them be your driving force for becoming an educator, let the ones who are not lazy and have that driving force to succeed be what you teach for.

Bottom line is, most kids learn through thier parents, that education is important, or they do not through failings of the parent to teach education is important. Many things also influence that.. geographically, socially, etc.

Here in my house, my kids have been taught from a young age that school is thier "job" of sorts and that they must attain a certain (reasonable) GPA to have certain privledges in this house and outside of my home. That in itself helps them to see that education is important.If you dont have that education, you go no where, you have no life, this is true as an adult also. So for me, it starts right here at home.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    I went into teaching with that same idea... unfortunately, you are gonna have to realise, that most of the time, when you get an older student who is lazy or shows little driving force to be successful in school, it is rare to turn them around... so dont let them be your driving force for becoming an educator, let the ones who are not lazy and have that driving force to succeed be what you teach for.

Bottom line is, most kids learn through thier parents, that education is important, or they do not through failings of the parent to teach education is important. Many things also influence that.. geographically, socially, etc.

Here in my house, my kids have been taught from a young age that school is thier "job" of sorts and that they must attain a certain (reasonable) GPA to have certain privledges in this house and outside of my home. That in itself helps them to see that education is important.If you dont have that education, you go no where, you have no life, this is true as an adult also. So for me, it starts right here at home.
    I'd definitely agree with you on education starting at home. I've also had the experience of hearing about some of my father's students. His first teaching job was in the middle of inner-city San Antonio. A lot of his students lived in cars, were fifteen and going on their second kid, etc. A lot of them leaned on my father as a rolemodel and looked up to his desire to teach. Most of the students that the other teachers were afraid of, claimed were bad learners, etc, turned out to be his best, favorite students. They worked harder. I don't see the geographical, societal reasons as true; I see them as excuses simply because I saw what man could evoke in his students. My father is my guiding light, whether he upset me or not. He pushed away those geographical and societal reasons away and he taught his students to love Algebra. They still call him. They still e-mail him.

You may disagree with me, but those students who're lazy and the students who don't have the support from family are the reason I want to teach. The ones who love learning on the icing on the cake.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).

Thanks

So...my job, in your eyes, as a teacher, is to regurgitate what the book says and not encourage independent thought. Am I right?

Bingo!!!

simply want to encourage my students to learn about their world. To learn how to better research. If that's a crime, I ought not to be a teacher.g to burn in hell. Fun stuff)! I don't want to persecute anyone for their religion.I was under the impression that school was for learning, expanding your skills in research, and becoming your own person with the aid/help/encouragement of people like me who want to teach.

Oh, and on a side note, I don't even know if evolution will even a part of the cirriculum.
    There is nothing wrong with teaching and encouraging kids to learn. But it does cross a line when you step out of the curriculum and tread into religious subjects. At the beginning of this thread you stated

I eventually want to be a Biology/Science teacher in high school and I'm having a dilemma with what I want to teach and what the school district will allow me to teach; especially where evolution is concerned. I'll be the first to state that I am, as people go, confused about my own religious beliefs. Raised Christian, I dabbled in "Wicca" and then parts of the Kaballah, moving into Aleister Crowley's teachings. (I love that man, by the way)!

Anyhoo...I wanted to know what the general public thinks of the idea of gently nudging my students to look at other "alternatives" to the evolution theory. I realize that most would see religious alternatives to be a breach of Seperation of Church and State, however; I find that nurturing my students, and encouraging other ideas is the way to go. I personally have my own questions about evolution. It's unproveable, though a good portion of the science we teach today is unproven, but I find that if I teach them only this(evolution), and do not at least encourage them to test other waters, I wouldn't, as a teacher, be doing my job. I'm of the firm belief that a teacher not only addresses the material they are supposed to address, but also allow the student to mold their own knowledge.

So...I'm not hoping to start a huge argument. I'm simply hoping for some incite into what others would see fit for their offspring to be taught. Fire away!
    Just because you are having "doubts" doesn't mean you have the right to put doubt in other peoples children. If you want to teach philosophy go teach college courses.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    Bingo!!!

There is nothing wrong with teaching and encouraging kids to learn. But it does cross a line when you step out of the curriculum and tread into religious subjects. At the beginning of this thread you stated

Just because you are having "doubts" doesn't mean you have the right to put doubt in other peoples children. If you want to teach philosophy go teach college courses.
    1. That's sad.
    2. I don't think that suggesting that there are alternative thoughts on evolution/our coming of existence would even be saying, "Go, my child! Go seek God! He will save you!" I'm simply stating that there are other alternative beliefs.
    3. And I definitely don't think that suggesting they do their own research is encouraging doubt. If I wanted to teach philosophy, I'd be majoring in philosophy. I'm not.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Melanie, have you considered teaching something different like the Arts and Humanities? I took some of these classes in college and learned so much about the different cultures, religions, philosophies to name a few. I got exposed to many different ideas and perspectives in one semester than I have been in my entire life. The class always met at a museum or an art gallery and provided an enriching experience that defenitely broadened my horizons. But this does not mean that I would want to hear about creationism or ID in my biology class. I believe that this is not the place nor venue to encourage students inside or outside of class about such pseudoscience and simply does not make any rational sense to me.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceman25
    Melanie, have you considered teaching something different like the Arts and Humanities? I took some of these classes in college and learned so much about the different cultures, religions, philosophies to name a few. I got exposed to many different ideas and perspectives in one semester than I have been in my entire life. The class always met at a museum or an art gallery and provided an enriching experience that defenitely broadened my horizons. But this does not mean that I would want to hear about creationism or ID in my biology class. I believe that this is not the place nor venue to encourage students inside or outside of class about such pseudoscience and simply does not make any rational sense to me.
    I originally wanted to be a choral director. ^_^ Then I wanted to be an English teacher. I "spoke" to Ophelia one night and I realized what I'd wanted to do for a very long time. Teach Biology, or possibly work at a zoo, specifically with the reptiles. I do at least want to teach for a while, though. I sort of do it all of the time when I go out. O_O
    Melanie Ryan Seals

Thanks

1. That's sad.
    2. I don't think that suggesting that there are alternative thoughts on evolution/our coming of existence would even be saying, "Go, my child! Go seek God! He will save you!" I'm simply stating that there are other alternative beliefs.
    3. And I definitely don't think that suggesting they do their own research is encouraging doubt. If I wanted to teach philosophy, I'd be majoring in philosophy. I'm not.
    1.There is nothing wrong with teaching and encouraging kids to learn. But it does cross a line when you step out of the curriculum and tread into religious subjects. At the beginning of this thread you stated

A.) How is this sad? You apparently dont like christianity and would balk at anyone putting church into school. when you mix your 'religion' with your 'science' you're doing the same thing but dont want to be told so.

2.No, what you're trying to teach is not state mandated, is of your own opinions/beliefs, and apparently your way to students which is not what your paid or trusted to do. I do not see how you're still stuck on this when everyone has been opposed to you teaching their kids things alternative to what the school requires. You keep saying the same thing and getting the same answer. What are some of these alternatives by the way? You have yet to produce a link to any of your 'beliefs' that i am sure have very little credible basis.

3.Encouraging kids to research does not create doubt. it creates learning. but what do you mean by doubt? doubt in what? what the school/state/nation/scientists are suggesting is 'new' and 'current' to teach, or your student's faith which IS overstepping the seperation of church and state.

4.If you're not majoring in philosophy, then why do you want to teach them your opinions? Still no links, so as far as im concerned, nothing you want to teach is agreed with by a majority of well respected educators and scientists.

The End, Love Ansli.

Also, could you refrain putting your 'religious' beliefs into statement form and not opinion. Try putting "I Believe christians fabricated the devil" and not "Christians fabricated the devil to embody evil". Actually, other older religions created their devils and demons long before christians did.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Melicious

I see it as a religious text book to be taken with a grain of salt as I do text books in science class. ^_^
    If it is school text books you take with a grain of salt as you do the bible..then maybe you should reconsider going into the education career at all, because bottom line, school text books are what you will be teaching from. How and why would you even attempt to teach something you take with a grain of salt?
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Melanie, i think you would be the coolest teacher ever if you tought other alternatives to how the world was created other then evolution which i can see no fact or proof in anyways. you have my vote! i thoroughly support you.
    -marshall

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast