Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,433

2 members and 3,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Questions for the General Public

Quote Originally Posted by Melicious
    I, however; don't want to teach them these alternative beliefs, but I would definitely want to encourage their own learning. What harm is in that?
    Why would a science teacher try to encourage their students to learn about something that wasn't based on fact? If you're having such a problem with this, why don't you plan on teaching something other than science?

-Lawrence

Thanks

I know about these lazy students, and they are the driving force behind my wanting to teach.

That is a goal of mine, but that is why im going for a PhD in english. Im only willing to help those that want it. Really Want It.

I noticed you mentioned dabbling in Wicca, i hate to rip on you, because you come off as a really dedicated and nice person, but Wicca isnt a science. Neither is Christianity. We can flim flam all day and night about it, but what would wicca/alternative ideas have to do with science. What sense does it make for me to say "Im a christian and a yellow dog democrat. I will be teaching your english today.. Putting in opinions with something professional where you're giving your knowledge to others isnt... good. As as student i would want to know that you're a Science Teacher. Not a Wiccan.
    just an example i could glean from your post.

I get the vibe you want to give.... alternative 'views' not just alternative science.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    Why would a science teacher try to encourage their students to learn about something that wasn't based on fact? If you're having such a problem with this, why don't you plan on teaching something other than science?
    LOL Scientific Method! I mean. All grade school science points back to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melicious
    I eventually want to be a Biology/Science teacher in high school and I'm having a dilemma with what I want to teach and what the school district will allow me to teach; especially where evolution is concerned. I'll be the first to state that I am, as people go, confused about my own religious beliefs. Raised Christian, I dabbled in "Wicca" and then parts of the Kaballah, moving into Aleister Crowley's teachings. (I love that man, by the way)!

Anyhoo...I wanted to know what the general public thinks of the idea of gently nudging my students to look at other "alternatives" to the evolution theory. I realize that most would see religious alternatives to be a breach of Seperation of Church and State, however; I find that nurturing my students, and encouraging other ideas is the way to go. I personally have my own questions about evolution. It's unproveable, though a good portion of the science we teach today is unproven, but I find that if I teach them only this(evolution), and do not at least encourage them to test other waters, I wouldn't, as a teacher, be doing my job. I'm of the firm belief that a teacher not only addresses the material they are supposed to address, but also allow the student to mold their own knowledge.

So...I'm not hoping to start a huge argument. I'm simply hoping for some incite into what others would see fit for their offspring to be taught. Fire away!
    I read this whole thread and will comment on this first statement. First there is a reason church, religion and the classroom are being kept seperate. Not everyone holds your values and religious beliefs and having them explore "alternatives" for school work is a violation of their parents trust in you. You as a teacher are expected to stick to approved teaching materials. It is the PARENTS choice to teach their child anything beyond the classroom curriculum. You will live a very short life as a teacher if you plan on violating that trust. School is not the place to use your class as a captive audience to "push" other religions.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

and a one-two punch from Mr. Wild Bill.
    Cirriculum THAT was the word i kept beating around but couldnt find.
    That was clean and concise.

Thanks

I would keep religious beliefs out of it; there are way too many religions and each seems to have tis own set of beliefs and "facts" regarding creation; personally, I am all for evolution, as facts and hard evidence are again and again proving it and backing it up; I am not much for fanciful tales (at least, not believing them; reading them is fun!)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

There seems to be more information that I've read that refutes evolution, however; I have "faith" in my collegues to do what's right and find real, hard evidence. It seems that these continual claims concerning evolution prove false.

I just want my students to know that there are other beliefs/ideals/"theories." I won't teach them in school. I simply want to open the window for free learning.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks

Interestingly enough if you do go ahead and get your degree in teaching( I'm assuming your going for a Secondary Education degree), than why not consider teaching Biology and Science as well as philosophy? Yes, many high schools have an intro to philosophy course. If the one you’d work at does not than it’s not at all too difficult to approach your supervisors and work toward getting a class started. This may allow you to allow your students to approach different topics in different ways. You would also be able to more liberally involve science with religion as philosophical beliefs.

Then again I’m just a P.E teacher

Thanks

I agree with everything Wild Bill said, plus I will go on to add that teens already think of alternative ideas, and you can trust me on that. I have a 15 yr old who is very social, so I have a lot of teens in my house at any given time. There is nothing you could possibly suggest in a class setting that they have not already thought of, looked into, discussed with friends, etc. Teens have extremely active minds, and they are very interested in learning alternative theories.
    As a teacher, you would lend credence to any theories you supported, that's just a fact of life. Leave it to parents to guide their children, or believe me, they will find support among their peers if it's something they are serious about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    I read this whole thread and will comment on this first statement. First there is a reason church, religion and the classroom are being kept seperate. Not everyone holds your values and religious beliefs and having them explore "alternatives" for school work is a violation of their parents trust in you. You as a teacher are expected to stick to approved teaching materials. It is the PARENTS choice to teach their child anything beyond the classroom curriculum. You will live a very short life as a teacher if you plan on violating that trust. School is not the place to use your class as a captive audience to "push" other religions.
    Unfortunately we cant always rely on state science standards........some states have very poor science standards. Kansas has rewritten the defination of science to include non-naturalistic explanations etc......Pretty bold for a group of politicians that have no experience as scientists......

Thomas Fordam foundation (a very conservative foundation) rated gave them a F in science standards...... http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/de..._last_science/
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast