Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,821

2 members and 2,819 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    VP of Cool
    Thanks

Re: Questions for the General Public

Ok folks, its been an absolute pleasure listening to everyones arguments and opinions and I thank everyone for keeping things civil. But I think it's time to put this one out to pasture.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iceman25
    Ok folks, its been an absolute pleasure listening to everyones arguments and opinions and I thank everyone for keeping things civil. But I think it's time to put this one out to pasture.
    I think it's still proceeding amicably. Why lock it now?

-Lawrence

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    I think it's still proceeding amicably. Why lock it now?
    Personally, I think that we're all being fairly mature about the entire topic. I haven't called anyone names, nor has anyone else. I'd like to see this continue. Please?
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melicious
    I also encourage you to look at alternatives outside of class. I will not mention these alternatives. That’s for your own curiosity to find. I will, however; state that as of this point, if you have any personal concerns, please come speak to my after class.
    That doesn't sound too bad, however... if my child came to you after class to ask about alternatives and you mentioned Creationism, ID, etc. I would be at that school first thing the next morning to complain.

-Lawrence

Thanks

That doesn't sound too bad, however... if my child came to you after class to ask about alternatives and you mentioned Creationism, ID, etc. I would be at that school first thing the next morning to complain.
    I'd simple state this to your child: Billy, I'm not at liberty to suggest any of these alternative beliefs, but I'm sure if you look online, whether you google, or look through some science magazines and newspapers, you'll find them. I'd also suggest talking to your parents about what they think. Otherwise, just explore. The internets full of lots of information, and I'm sure your mother and father can point you in the right direction. A lot of college campuses provide subscriptions to databases such as LexusNexus, Infotrac, and other great databases for searching. In fact, one of my favorite authors uses LexusNexus. Anyways, it's getting late. I think you ought to head to your next class. It was nice speaking with you, Billy.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).

Thanks

I'd simple state this to your child: Billy, I'm not at liberty to suggest any of these alternative beliefs...
    I'm sure that would be acceptable to most people, but it seems quite a bit different than what you may have intended when you started this thread.

-Lawrence

Thanks

• I guess I haven’t been making myself clear. I will teach evolution. That’s what the curriculum will more-than-likely allow me to do. However, I would encourage them to take a look at these other ideas/beliefs/ “THEORIES.”
      • The Flatulent Raccoon Theory: Please read Godless By: Anne Coulter
      • Creationism.
      • Intelligent Design.
      • Egyptian Creationist Story
    The problem with these is that they are not scientific theories...all of them are simply {the same rehereased and throughly rejected} criticisms of Darwinism or total misrepresentations of data.

Last time I checked Ann Coulter wasnt a scientist, biologist, etc......How many papers in peer-reviewed scientific jounarls does she have? (How many do I have you ask? One..)

Do any of them provide a naturalistic explanation based on evidence and data of how current species cam to be? NO

Give a handout of these is just going to make you kids think hey she's not comfortable with this material...why should I bother learning it well?

I am an agnostic that lately is turning more athetistic......Should I introduce students to my view of religion and dogmatic faith which is very similiar to Sam Harris' view expressed in the book "The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason"

First of all, I'd be commiting career sucide.....second of all, this is more of a topic tackled at the college level.

I dont see the difference too between my exposing students to these ideas and yours......in both cases the teacher is encouraging students to look at things that are not part of the science standards and not part of scientific disciplines.....

You say you want to have your students experience new things......dont try to take on too much.....your kids will experience life and a variety of world viewpoints in college, work, and life.
    Last edited by Mendel's Balls; 07-24-2006 at 04:05 PM.
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

VP of Cool
    Thanks

I think it's still proceeding amicably.
    I hope ur right. I'm just "feeling" a lot of tension coming off of the whole thing given the nature of the discussion. If things get too heated and confrontational, she is a goner!
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

I'm sure that would be acceptable to most people, but it seems quite a bit different than what you may have intended when you started this thread.
    Really? I was thinking the same thing throughout this entire discussion.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel's Balls
    The problem with these is that they are not scientific theories...all of them are simply {the same rehereased and throughly rejected} criticisms of Darwinism or total misrepresentations of data.

Last time I checked Ann Coulter wasnt a scientist, biologist, etc......How many papers in peer-reviewed scientific jounarls does she have? (How many do I have you ask? One..)

Do any of them provide a naturalistic explanation based on evidence and data of how current species cam to be? NO

Give a handout of these is just going to make you kids think hey she's not comfortable with this material...why should I bother learning it well?

I am an agnostic that lately is turning more athetistic......Should I introdcue students to my view of religion which is very similiar to Sam Harris' view expressed in the book "The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason"

First of all, I'd be commiting career sucide.....second of all, this is more of a topic tackled at the college level.

I dont see the difference too between my exposing students to these ideas and yours......in both cases the teacher is encouraging students to look at things that are not part of the science standards and not part of scientific disciplines.....

You say you want to have your students experience new things......dont try to take on too much.....your kids will experience life and a variety of world viewpoints in college, work, and life.
    Mendel: I was using Coulter and these other examples as alternatives to the theory of evolution. I'm not mentioning, I'm not even making it easy for them to find them. I realize they're not accepted by the scientific society. That wasn't my point. They're alternatives. End of story.

And by the way, Ann Coulter is a very respected woman in my eyes. Not because she's Christian, she's conservative, or anything like that. She's respected in my eyes because she doesn't take anyone's crap.

I, however; openly encourage you to read her book. ^_^
    Melanie Ryan Seals

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast