Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

2 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Questions for the General Public

That is all well and good and I understand your point.
    I was just offering to what extent the school systems have gone to in order to keep people happy. Not saying it is right or wrong just saying how it is these days.
    Evolution/ Christanity is a hot button topic to a lot of people. People who are Christians do not want there children taught evolution and non-christians do not want there children taught the bible.
    Watch your newspapers and you will see this causes as much crazy debate as gay teachers or what books are consider "proper reading material" for school children.

Not arguing what's right and what's wrong just telling you what I see in my sons school system and what I read happening in others.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel's Balls
    Dont be so quick to throw labels on things..... Do you know the author of this piece?

More importantly....Did you address one point in the article?

NO!
    One, I can't access the article to see who the article's author is.

Personally, I don't think that these alternatives should be forced to be taught in the class, nor do I think that in California, teachers should be forced to teach their students about all of the gay/homosexual people who made a difference in the world. (As if someone's sexual orientation was something to discuss beyond closed doors...)

I do, however, think that teachers ought to be able to express to their students that if they want to learn more, that they encouraged to do so outside of class.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melicious
    I do, however, think that teachers ought to be able to express to their students that if they want to learn more, that they encouraged to do so outside of class.
    This is really all a grade school teacher can do. They are given a specific curriculum that they are forced to follow and can not include their own personal beliefs, especially religeous. I think that all you can do is explain to them that there are alternatives and that they do not have to take what is taught in the class to be the absolute truth. I wouldn't go any further than that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jotay
    Evolution/ Christanity is a hot button topic to a lot of people. People who are Christians do not want there children taught evolution and non-christians do not want there children taught the bible.
    I'm Christian, but I do want my children taught about the theory of evolution. I do agree though that it is a super hot topic button.

This thread is getting a bit heated, but so far has remained pretty reasonable. Healthy debate is a great thing.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Mel. Please respond to the following:

1) I want to know what you plan to teach. Quit saying "Alternative Theories" and beating around the bush. Give me a synapse if its too long to explain. Glean the jist of it for me, okay?
    2) Give me links to the sites where're you're learning your scientific beliefs.

Some how i have a feeling that what you want to teach are A. of your own agenda and not actually to 'encourage students to look at alternatives' just your alternatives and B. you have a problem with christianity, are biased, and do not care who you may offend because you are right, and what you are doing is just. I feel that your entire agenda is a rather gooey facade of a personal attempt to teach your own personal views including over tones your Religion regardless as to what state and national law dictate.

you want to be a teacher, not a preacher remember, and no- not all preachers are of the christian persuasion.
    do any of these 'alternative theories' have viable evidence, because a dinosaur is pretty freaking viable to me. finch variations are pretty freaking viable to me. the ability of crows to learn and -evolve- is pretty freakin viable to me. plate tectonics are pretty freakin viable to me.
    what im getting at- can you take the Scientific Method and come out with some results that support your theories, and then tell me what you did, let me try out your theory using the SM and get the same answer. that is, after all, the basis of science. though- the text book you had with a grain of salt would have taught you that

Thanks

I agree, tigerlilly, that it is a hot topic.
    Personally, My church and my boyfriend and I will teach my children our religion (when we marry and have them :3 ) but i want school to teach them the other things. BOE/State/and Nationally approved things. Not some backwood opinion that is barely skirting on the name of science.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    I'm Christian, but I do want my children taught about the theory of evolution. I do agree though that it is a super hot topic button.

This thread is getting a bit heated, but so far has remained pretty reasonable. Healthy debate is a great thing.
    I am the same as you but we must remember not all people think logical like us and it only takes one to complain for the whole thing to come down.
    I feel everyone should learn all sides of things. More trouble, wars etc have come from people not knowing or understanding other ways of life or views.
    If it can be taught in a manner where it is generic. Some students really look up to some teachers and I wouldn't want my son to follow the teachers view just because it is their view, ( hope that makes sense) I want all the facts or views presented to him and then he can make his Own choices in life.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

I think that God lives in the center of a supermassive black hole somewhere. Our telescopes got too good so he had to come up with some crazy **** to hide in.

-Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shhhli

1) I want to know what you plan to teach. Quit saying "Alternative Theories" and beating around the bush. Give me a synapse if its too long to explain. Glean the jist of it for me, okay?
    Mel, this has been asked a number of times. I'm not sure why you started this discussion if you don't have the data to back up your opinions on this matter. Perhaps many of us would be more open to your suggestion of providing alternative views if you actually presented some of those views for us to review.

-Lawrence

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

2) Give me links to the sites where're you're learning your scientific beliefs.

Some how i have a feeling that what you want to teach are A. of your own agenda and not actually to 'encourage students to look at alternatives' just your alternatives and B. you have a problem with christianity, are biased, and do not care who you may offend because you are right, and what you are doing is just. I feel that your entire agenda is a rather gooey facade of a personal attempt to teach your own personal views including over tones your Religion regardless as to what state and national law dictate.

you want to be a teacher, not a preacher remember, and no- not all preachers are of the christian persuasion.

do any of these 'alternative theories' have viable evidence, because a dinosaur is pretty freaking viable to me. finch variations are pretty freaking viable to me. the ability of crows to learn and -evolve- is pretty freakin viable to me. plate tectonics are pretty freakin viable to me.

what im getting at- can you take the Scientific Method and come out with some results that support your theories, and then tell me what you did, let me try out your theory using the SM and get the same answer. that is, after all, the basis of science. though- the text book you had with a grain of salt would have taught you that

• I guess I haven’t been making myself clear. I will teach evolution. That’s what the curriculum will more-than-likely allow me to do. However, I would encourage them to take a look at these other ideas/beliefs/ “THEORIES.”
      • The Flatulent Raccoon Theory: Please read Godless By: Anne Coulter
      • Creationism.
      • Intelligent Design.
      • Egyptian Creationist Story
    • These are just a couple. I’ve got books. Books do well. Simple college textbooks.
      • Title: Biology Author: Campbell
      • Living World Author: Johnson

• If I can’t make it any clearer, I’m sorry. I’m wanting to teach the curriculum, making the learning process enjoyable, while also encouraging my students to look outside of their textbook and what I’ve offered for them. They’re not my alternatives. I don’t agree or disagree with them.
    • I don’t have a problem with Christianity. You’re the only one to claim that thus far and you’re completely incorrect. I chose not to believe in it. That does NOT, under any circumstances whatsoever, mean that I have a problem with it, that I don’t like Christians or that I think Christians are bad people. My own agenda, if you must know, is to make science exciting just as my father made math exciting for his students. Plain, simple, probably a little arbitrary. A little girl’s hopes of making my class more interesting, of encouraging individual thought. That does NOT mean I want them to worship Satan, Allah, Iris, Osiris, the Christian God, or the Raccoon. I simply wish to urge them to think for themselves.
    • Nope. Not all preachers are Christian. Some of them are terrorists, some of them are politicians, and some of them are everyday JoeSchmoes who want to shove their own beliefs down either their students’ throats or other JoeSchmoes’ throats. The difference between those preachers and little me? I don’t want to shove anything anywhere ever.
    • And I’ll state again. They’re not MY “theories.” (And again, the quotations have significant meaning. Please note them). I am fully aware that most of these ideas/alternatives are not scientifically tested. If I wasn’t, I’d be an idiot. I’m not.
    • Please, let me explain this to you in the simplest terms possible:
      • Hello class. My name is Melanie. I’d prefer to be addressed as Melanie for the duration of the year as I feel being addressed as ‘ma’am,’ ‘YO teach’ and other such means of addressing are unpleasant. I will state this clearly, so that no one will misinterpret what I’ve said, and, if after my explanation you still have justified questions, I’ll address them as respectfully as I can. The syllabus states that in October we will be discussing the Theory of Evolution as in direct correlation to Darwin’s theories. I will only say this to you: I encourage that you research Darwin’s Theory (notice that theory is NOT in quotations). I also encourage you to look at alternatives outside of class. I will not mention these alternatives. That’s for your own curiosity to find. I will, however; state that as of this point, if you have any personal concerns, please come speak to my after class. You will also note that attached to the syllabus, there’s a note addressing to your parents exactly what I’ve told you. If they have any qualms with this, my contact information is attached, and I most definitely encourage them to contact me first with any concerns or questions they might ask.
      • Now, may I introduce to you our class observer, Odysseus. He is a ball, or royal python. A note has also been attached to your syllabus addressing the rules for handling him. I would like your parents to also read over them, if you’d please. He’s very docile and very sweet, actually, but if you frighten him, or make him feel threatened, there’s a small possibility that he might bite you. I doubt it will happen, but I want you to be aware of everything. There’s antibacterial soap next to his enclosure. Please use it after every handling of him, and please wash your hands before you handle him.
      • Any Questions?
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast