Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,366

2 members and 3,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

Questions for the General Public

I eventually want to be a Biology/Science teacher in high school and I'm having a dilemma with what I want to teach and what the school district will allow me to teach; especially where evolution is concerned. I'll be the first to state that I am, as people go, confused about my own religious beliefs. Raised Christian, I dabbled in "Wicca" and then parts of the Kaballah, moving into Aleister Crowley's teachings. (I love that man, by the way)!

Anyhoo...I wanted to know what the general public thinks of the idea of gently nudging my students to look at other "alternatives" to the evolution theory. I realize that most would see religious alternatives to be a breach of Seperation of Church and State, however; I find that nurturing my students, and encouraging other ideas is the way to go. I personally have my own questions about evolution. It's unproveable, though a good portion of the science we teach today is unproven, but I find that if I teach them only this(evolution), and do not at least encourage them to test other waters, I wouldn't, as a teacher, be doing my job. I'm of the firm belief that a teacher not only addresses the material they are supposed to address, but also allow the student to mold their own knowledge.

So...I'm not hoping to start a huge argument. I'm simply hoping for some incite into what others would see fit for their offspring to be taught. Fire away!
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks

Re: Questions for the General Public

I'll make it simple... the theory of evolution, just as all science, is based on fact. If my child attended a science class in which the teacher taught anything else besides fact based science, then I would probably pull my child from that class. I'm not opposed to other ideas being taught about religion or philosophy, but that doesn't belong in a science class.

Let me put it this way, the whole point of science is to discover the why's and how's of this world based on tangible facts. If you were to bring up some spiritual based aspect in a scientific forum, you are pretty much dismissing the facts and asking your students to consider ideas based on beliefs which can never be proven.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melicious

Anyhoo...I wanted to know what the general public thinks of the idea of gently nudging my students to look at other "alternatives" to the evolution theory. I realize that most would see religious alternatives to be a breach of Seperation of Church and State, however; I find that nurturing my students, and encouraging other ideas is the way to go. I personally have my own questions about evolution. It's unproveable, though a good portion of the science we teach today is unproven, but I find that if I teach them only this(evolution), and do not at least encourage them to test other waters, I wouldn't, as a teacher, be doing my job.

Test other waters.....like religous waters? Evolution is currently the only scientifically accepted theory...are there problems with it...sure..the horse thing in the other thread...doesnt discount Darwinism.....just like the recent finding published in nature that RNA can act as a molecule of intergenerational heredity doesnt show that DNA is not the main molecule of hereditary.

What are you going to teach? The criticism of Darwin's theory? Most of these if you dig a little deep enough can be quickly dismissed.

Also no ideas are ever proven in science.....scientific knowledge by defination is tenative at best..There's always so uncertainy involved....I recommend taking a philosophy of science course. To wet your appetite check out this article on the ten myths of science.....http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...01/ai_n8733931

Do we teach alternatives to plate tectonics in geology classes? To what we know about the age of the earth? NO, we teach our best scientific understanding of it.

I'll compromise you with this way....if your going to teach your so called criticisms of evolution, you must also teach the many criticism of intelligent design. And you'll have to teach them just as well.....so the students can decide for themselves so to speak.

Also I'm no lawyer but because of Dover, teaching any intelligent design in PA would probably be against the law.
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    I'll make it simple... the theory of evolution, just as all science, is based on fact. If my child attended a science class in which the teacher taught anything else besides fact based science, then I would probably pull my child from that class. I'm not opposed to other ideas being taught about religion or philosophy, but that doesn't belong in a science class.

Let me put it this way, the whole point of science is to discover the why's and how's of this world based on tangible facts. If you were to bring up some spiritual based aspect in a scientific forum, you are pretty much dismissing the facts and asking your students to consider ideas based on beliefs which can never be proven.
    To be correct....evolution as a matter of the geologic/fossial record and a number of field studies is a fact.....facts are based on evidence, data

The theory of evolution by natural selection is a theory......but the word theory to natural scientists mean a very, very specific thing

Melicious......thanks for arguing in a mature fashion unlike the other person in some other thread......lol
    ~

Thanks

science is my best subject,but evolution just buckles whats left of my mind,and i'll probaly fail biology.

Thanks

Mendel: I don't want to teach them any criticisms. I think that would be overstepping my rights as a teacher, however, I would expect other teachers to nudge my students to look, on their own time, at other alternatives. To broach the fact that not all people agree with evolution, and that there are other, interesting "theories" in which we, and the rest of the "animal" kingdom came into being.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python kid
    we evolved from monkeys that explains why were so stupid we still think and have the brain sizes of monkeys
    That's uncalled for. Please, if you wish to post in the thread I created, do so with a much more respectful textual tone. I don't appreciate the childish remarks. This is supposed to be an intellectual discussion about what is appropriate for the educators of the world, to teach to our youth. What's acceptable...

I wonder, from the tone in your text, whether or not you were graced with decent educators or not.
    Melanie Ryan Seals

Thanks

sorry mam,i was just taught a different way in school,im really not a bad kid,i just don't understand evolution

Thanks

Mendel: I don't want to teach them any criticisms. I think that would be overstepping my rights as a teacher, however, I would expect other teachers to nudge my students to look, on their own time, at other alternatives. To broach the fact that not all people agree with evolution, and that there are other, interesting "theories" in which we, and the rest of the "animal" kingdom came into being.

What we know about science education however, says that you need to teach and present evidence to students to make them understand scientific ideas.....

There is no current data/evidence for any of the other "theories" you speak of Melanie......all the ID people have are criticisms of Darwinism.....
    ~

Thanks

I wonder, from the tone in your text, whether or not you were graced with decent educators or not.
    Thumbs up!
    ~

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast