Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,445

1 members and 3,444 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Other Pets

Thanks

Re: My Other Pets

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Kennelling is invaluable with a lot of breeds. They just tend to get into trouble if left unattended. Hopefully he won't howl and fuss. You might try putting him in for very short periods of time and just leaving the room or stepping outdoors then letting him out with a treat for quiet behaviour. Then extending the length of time slowly....might work well with him. He's a great looking dog but northern sled breeds are all high energy and usually big talkers lol.
    Yeah, he has gotten himself into trouble every way possible... he gets bored easily and has separation anxiety as well. Learning to speak on command was his second trick, haha... and he learned that at a very early age. When I bought him as a puppy I lived in a house with a friend of mine, and they had a 6 foot fence in the back yard which he jumped with ease. I used to get calls all the time from people in the neighborhood because I put my phone number on his name tag on his collar. He finally got caught by the pound once and I had to bail him out... then I was threatened by them another time that they would take him out of the yard if they got a call about him again. So I had to move him to my aunt's house, and I tried a radio collar which worked for a while but then either his fur just got too thick over the winter, or he just learned to grin and bear it, and he started jumping their fence also. During this time I was waiting to move into another house on my own instead of at my friend's place. So I ended up having to keep him tied in my aunt's backyard and that worked for a while as well until he got out of his collar and escaped again, and that was pretty much the day before my house was finished, so the next day I picked him up and took him over there with no furniture or anything, just a matress and some clothes and my dog, and that is the day I started my move.

Right now I keep him in the house with me when I am home, and tied in the yard during the day while I am at work. My grandpa owns a mechanic shop next door that my dad also works at, so they watch him during the day. I tried keeping him inside a couple times during the day but he chewed up furniture and a lot of other stuff, so that didn't work. He's also chewed up a bunch of stuff just overnight while I am asleep, which is why I have the big kennel now... and I hope to God it works.

And thanks for the post, Jeanne! I am in need of some encouragement...
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

If it gives you any comfort you aren't alone in struggling with a Husky and nothing your lovely Husky male is doing is actually out of the norm for his breed. They are unfortunately often found roaming, end up in city pounds or hopefully good rescues. We have a huge rescue here in Ohio for northern sled breeds (most of the residents are Huskies not surprisingly).

First thing I noticed is he's an intact male. That is only going to make the roaming situation worse. You have his natural need to run plus the drive to mate going on...I'm amazed he's ever home LOL.

Here's a great link that may help you find some advice specific to his breed and their special needs as well as maybe put you in contact with experienced owners that may know a trick or two.

http://www.sibes.org/sdo/index.asp
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

You're right, he was intact in the first photo, but I have since had him neutered seeing as he sired a litter of puppies at 8 months of age. It did not help with the roaming, though...

And yes I now know that he just has some typical Husky characteristics... I am considering rescuing one, as I am sure there will be some up for adoption, if I get everything situated with him and feel I can handle two.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders

Thanks

If there's a good sled dog rescue near you they might be an excellent resource actually. The big one here in Ohio offers to help keep your dog in your home with support, advice, etc. rather than see so many end up in rescues.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

One of my friends works for Central Pet and Garden and was workin a dog show this weekend, and she said there were tons of Huskies up for adoption there.

And I have started keeping Kane in his kennel overnight... last night was the first night, and he was pretty good about it, he wasn't making a lot of vocal noise, but every now and then he would scratch at the bottom trying to dig out, and I only gave him attention for it once. I've also kept him in it a couple times when I've left the house for short periods. I still need to get a nice soft pad in there though.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders

Thanks

We just put an old blanket in Gunnar's kennel plus a couple of chew/squeekie toys. If you can find some old army issue blankets they are great and pretty sturdy though of course they get dug at and chewed a bit.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I'll keep it in mind to give him something I won't be upset about if it gets all torn up...
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12