Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,436

2 members and 3,434 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Recent trends...

No offense taken Adam and if you think I posted my thoughts and expected a general "yay what a GREAT post" response, I'm not that naive.

There is no way I want BPNet to lose it's friendly, fun and family atmosphere but Adam even within a family there needs to be limits and consequence. I don't want a slam down on every thread or none of us to have fun, why would you even think I would? I've never participated in kingsnake forums, haven't heard anything worth checking out over there and likely won't...thanks for your suggestion though.

I just see it getting worse and worse lately and I'm not willing to just shove that off as "noobs being noobs". For me, and I can only speak for me, that's just too easy an answer.
    ~~Joanna~~

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Talking Re: Recent trends...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    I couldn't disagree more ... I feel that one of the things that makes bp.net so much fun is the way it is currently moderated. If you want "strong and immediate moderation" Jo, go take a look at kingsnake, it might be more your style ... they pull threads that get out of hand all day long and the result is that the majority of people posting there are doing so to pump up thier ads in the classifieds ... There is ZERO sense of family there like we have over here.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with new people joining the site and commenting on every single thread with horrible information because they think that they know something.

The fun that WE ALL have on threads is one of the BEST things about this site ... If threads start getting locked or warnings start going out because WE are goofing around and having fun this site will loose much of it's FAMILY feeling.

I LIKE the feeling that we're all FAMILY here ... I LIKE the feeling that we are a COMMUNITY of people that are passionate about the animals that we keep, are able to help each other out, AND are able to have a good time.

MORE/HEAVIER moderation will only break down that feeling and steer this site to more of a strict information portal ... and you know what? ... that stinks ... there are TONS of those out there, but only one Ball-Pythons.net.

Leave it the way it is ... and instead of asking the "veterans" to stop "arsing around", how about asking the "veterans" to stop whining about the "tone" around here and instead of arguing with the new users that don't have a clue, just correct them politely and move on?

Jo, just as you ended your post with "Sorry if any of you feel offended by this post", I will do the same.

-adam
    I agree with Adam that is why I joined years ago. You could talk one on one and on a first name basies. You can joke about who gets pie and who smacked frozen salmon or about how much we all "lub Jimmy". If anything the newbe's just need to understand it aint all found in the "manual to ball pythons book" and time and experiance does play into it. Keep the family feeling.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Banned
    Thanks

I think the mods do a great job of settling things down when they get out of hand. Well done mods!!

I think the goofing around is important not only for board moral but also to keep threads alive for more people to see. If the goofing around was not going on I would not read as many threads as I do for sure.

Hooray for bp.net and all it's goofballs!!

Thanks

Alright so new rules:

1. Don't argue with retards.
    2. Jimmy lubs pie.

Thanks for the input everyone! Gave me some fresh perspectives, I'm glad I started this, and yeah, I do feel a lot better. I think yesterday was just a complete poopfest- this thread was a reaction to that.
    -Brad

Thanks

Let me try to clarify my thoughts (why did I get involved in this thread...I know better).

I'm not saying don't have fun, I'm not saying that the Mods and Admins aren't doing their job. For heaven's sakes I was one of them...I know how hard that job is! What I am trying and obviously not managing to do is ask all of us, Mod, Admins, Veterans and Members to look first to ourselves.

If the step in to settle a thread is slightly faster or slightly more firm...not heavy handed but firm and quick before it escalates...isn't that a good thing? If a newcomer is being an ass or giving out bad info and the step in with good advice w/o the sarcasm and back and forth stuff happens, isn't that a good thing? Won't that settle it down faster and not drag it on endlessly page after page. It might not but I can't see that the current methods are working at the moment or we wouldn't all be in this discussion.

Goofing around Cue is great, it's fun and has it's place. In a thread that's going bad, I just don't know if that is the right place or if we go to far sometimes. That's not my judgement to call, just something I wonder about.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I don't think it would be fair to blame any one party. It takes two to tango, and in a couple cases it's be a downright free for all.

I can't agree more, that the best part of this site is the FAMILY feel to it. There's only so many times you can answer the same question, and without the tight community many would have left by now. We all have seemed to have the need to vent a bit more lately, but as long as it toes the line I believe it's good.

Heavier moderation just leads to bitter feelings, and an exhausted staff. That is NOT to say no moderation would be good in the slightest.

This site has always been open and welcoming, and a fountain of information. With help from this site my son is now swimming on his own. Now who would have thought the information that helped me would have come from a snake site? This community is awesome!!

Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    even within a family there needs to be limits and consequence.
    Well, the good news is that this is ONLY THE INTERNET ... It's not life and death and 30 years from now, no one will care.

I like the idea of having a site that I can go to and have fun away from the daily grind of life that sometimes can be a real drag ... if that site suddenly starts to have the same limits and consequences that life does, why would I waste my time? I'd rather turn the computer off and get some work done.

If you take a minute to put emotion aside, you'd see that the site is really not "getting worse lately" ... this site rocks, always has, always will! ... we've been hit with a ton of odd ball posts in the last week or so, but ... SO WHAT? ... Those morons will be gone in 2 weeks and we'll still be here doing what we do. I really don't understand why everyones panties/boxers are all wadded up??? ... it's happened before and we've recovered ... and no matter what anyone does, it WILL happen again.

Judy, Matt, and the rest of the admin/mod crew are good eggs and wicked smart ... I think they're doing an EXCELLENT job of running things "AS IS" ... asking them to do more/faster only makes thier lives harder and this site less fun. I say poo poo to that. I'd rather just let it roll off me and keep the site the way it is ... PERFECT!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

What I am about to say comes from the fact that I am the eldest surviving Admin that is still around since this sites birth... I certainly dont mean to offend,just "speaking" my mind on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki

Leave it the way it is ... and instead of asking the "veterans" to stop "arsing around", how about asking the "veterans" to stop whining about the "tone" around here and instead of arguing with the new users that don't have a clue, just correct them politely and move on?

-adam
    Adam is right on target here... Thanks Adam.

I think it is important to realise that noobs need a place to learn, by putting them in thier own forum cause they are new, only serves to act as segration. bottom line, it is not right and only serves to create hard feelings.

I understand everyones frustration, as I too have felt it on many occassions. But the bottom line is, we all need to learn more tolerance for eachother. Not all teens or younger members are causing an issue, just a select few. It is not fair to make all pay the consequences for the action of a select few. If you have an issue with a noob, learn to ignore and not waste your time by posting and argueing.. or just post info and leave it at that.
    Last edited by Jeanne; 07-21-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    not heavy handed but firm and quick before it escalates...isn't that a good thing?
    No. Restriction of the freedoms of a majority by a minority is NEVER a good thing.

I'd rather give an idiot 100 gallons of water to drown themselves in than see everyone else be given "just enough" to make it through a drought.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    This site has always been open and welcoming, and a fountain of information. With help from this site my son is now swimming on his own. Now who would have thought the information that helped me would have come from a snake site? This community is awesome!!

Bingo

This group is so willing to help with anything and there are so many people from all walks of life the wealth of general knowledge is out standing. The moderators do a great job!

I think people have just needed to blow off some steem. I know it can get frustrating to see 2 posts a week on "Help Low humidity" or "my new snake from the petstore isn't eating". But having been there I also know it is scary and we should feel good that they come to us for help. But as far as answering questions. New comers can tell who has the time and experiance to answer questions. If nothing else by the way a vet answers a question and by who the new comer is refered to i.e Adam, Gen, Cue, JLC and so on. Thanks to all the mods and admin and vets for all your help and patients.

When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast