Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,596

1 members and 2,595 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Recent trends...

Quote Originally Posted by mousch
    All in all, I love this forum. It's friendly and welcoming, and informative and above all it's POSITIVE. The "Experts" (forget the quotes, you're experts to me!) don't infight at all, and seeing them present a unified front and agree with each other helps me be sure I am giving my snake the best care he can get.
    Now there is a breath of fresh air! ... Bravo!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

i've gotten a burst of inspiration. possibly a way of dealing wit hour ish. without screwing up our site (that was a non possesive 'our')

what if we had instead of a newbie locked section, a section that was unable to be posted in at all?

it would sorta be like stickies but more obvously located to the new peeps

it would work like the search function but instead of having to search a few key words you could click on a "shedding link" or a "feeding link" and with in these categories would be lock down old threads of ours where plenty of discussion took place and the good conclusions were drawn. at the end of the thread a quick summary by the mods (or who ever). then if a newbie STILL had problems he/she could quote some stuff from these threads and bring them out to the regular forum.

it needs development but i think its a start....does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about?
    Alex
    {1.0.0 ball pythons- MONTYcurently being fostered}
    0.3.0 older sisters
    3.0.0 older brother-in-laws
    3.0.0 little brothers
    0.1.0 cutest lil sister ever
    New!!! just added!!!3.0.0. nephew!

Thanks

I like that idea. It would really help I think, becuase sometimes it's just really hard to find what you need, especially when a thread sstarts as being about one thing and the topic changes - it's hard to tell what's helpful. It would be nice to have an "enclosures" section and shedding, cleaning, feeding etc. I think it would REALLY help. It'd be a goldmine of the most helpful threads.
    1.0 Ball Python, Orey
    I almost always have new snake photos - check here!

Registered User MARCUS ANTONIUS's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree completely with Mousch. I've tried to look things up in the past and sometimes I find what I'm looking for and sometimes the threads wander off in a totally different direction. *Which isn't necessarily bad, considering I like to just read the witty banter posted on here from time to time.* But, I think it would be a plethora of knowledge and most users, even the veterans, would benefit from the ease of gathering info.
    Jeremy

You Might Be a Herper if...
    You're standing in the pet store checkout line with your purchase in hand & the person behind you says "Oh, they're so cute! Do they make good pets?" and you reply, "These? Hmmm. Actually, I have no idea...I never thought about that..."
    - Kevin McCurley, NERD

Thanks

obviously it would require a large amount of effort to do pull it off but i think it would be benficial to the site!
    Alex
    {1.0.0 ball pythons- MONTYcurently being fostered}
    0.3.0 older sisters
    3.0.0 older brother-in-laws
    3.0.0 little brothers
    0.1.0 cutest lil sister ever
    New!!! just added!!!3.0.0. nephew!

Thanks

I was thinking about the whole stickies thing for quite a while now. and I have an idea but it involves a screen shot of the home page of the forum then another of the "revised look" could I get permission to do this and post it just purly for ideas sake?
    Jessica K

Thanks

We all want BPNet to settle down, that's a given. Well I don't think segregation of newcomers is the answer. Stronger and more immediate moderation of these threads going nowhere fast is needed. So is Veterans and Members leading by example. We Veterans arse around in a lot of threads and that does set a tone. Threads that don't get locked and tossed or warnings strongly and publically given set a tone.

Sorry folks but for me I always look first to what I'm doing to make or break a situation. It's a bit too easy for me to just "blame the noob". Sure we've had some tools lately and sure we've likely come across as a place to get away with it and a place where long time members can act like tools even if we perceive it to be in good fun. It isn't even about how we perceive it, most of us know each other reasonably well through this board...but how does a newcomer perceive it.

I guess what I'm saying is look at the pre-existing membership and leadership. Can every one of you honestly say that lately we are setting our expectation high and enforcing that expectation so that your average idiot feels that their games are unwelcome and will most likely naturally wander off.

Sorry if any of you feel offended by this post. I'm not out to offend or chastize. I am willing to stand up however and take responsibility for my own part of this problem through either my actions or lack thereof.
    ~~Joanna~~

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    We all want BPNet to settle down, that's a given. Well I don't think segregation of newcomers is the answer. Stronger and more immediate moderation of these threads going nowhere fast is needed. So is Veterans and Members leading by example. We Veterans arse around in a lot of threads and that does set a tone. Threads that don't get locked and tossed or warnings strongly and publically given set a tone.

Sorry folks but for me I always look first to what I'm doing to make or break a situation. It's a bit too easy for me to just "blame the noob". Sure we've had some tools lately and sure we've likely come across as a place to get away with it and a place where long time members can act like tools even if we perceive it to be in good fun. It isn't even about how we perceive it, most of us know each other reasonably well through this board...but how does a newcomer perceive it.

I guess what I'm saying is look at the pre-existing membership and leadership. Can every one of you honestly say that lately we are setting our expectation high and enforcing that expectation so that your average idiot feels that their games are unwelcome and will most likely naturally wander off.

Sorry if any of you feel offended by this post. I'm not out to offend or chastize. I am willing to stand up however and take responsibility for my own part of this problem through either my actions or lack thereof.
    Very well said Jo!
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

Yeah, what Jo said!

I agree that older members can calm things down by making one post for the record and avoid arguing. There's no point...someone is either going to take what you say and do their own research or just think you're dumb and keep believing what they see as true. No arguement on a message board is going to change that.
    -Brad

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Stronger and more immediate moderation of these threads going nowhere fast is needed.
    I couldn't disagree more ... I feel that one of the things that makes bp.net so much fun is the way it is currently moderated. If you want "strong and immediate moderation" Jo, go take a look at kingsnake, it might be more your style ... they pull threads that get out of hand all day long and the result is that the majority of people posting there are doing so to pump up thier ads in the classifieds ... There is ZERO sense of family there like we have over here.

We Veterans arse around in a lot of threads and that does set a tone.
    That has absolutely NOTHING to do with new people joining the site and commenting on every single thread with horrible information because they think that they know something.

The fun that WE ALL have on threads is one of the BEST things about this site ... If threads start getting locked or warnings start going out because WE are goofing around and having fun this site will loose much of it's FAMILY feeling.

I LIKE the feeling that we're all FAMILY here ... I LIKE the feeling that we are a COMMUNITY of people that are passionate about the animals that we keep, are able to help each other out, AND are able to have a good time.

MORE/HEAVIER moderation will only break down that feeling and steer this site to more of a strict information portal ... and you know what? ... that stinks ... there are TONS of those out there, but only one Ball-Pythons.net.

Leave it the way it is ... and instead of asking the "veterans" to stop "arsing around", how about asking the "veterans" to stop whining about the "tone" around here and instead of arguing with the new users that don't have a clue, just correct them politely and move on?

Jo, just as you ended your post with "Sorry if any of you feel offended by this post", I will do the same.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast