Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

2 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

breeding outside of the season

All the caresheets I've come across suggest that breeding usually occurs in winter during the early months of the year. However I've often seen people advertising snakes that were born very late in the year. I just picked up a female myself that was born at the end of October 05. Doesn't that suggest that breeding occured during the summer?

Also, since annual rhythms in most species are dictated by changes in temperature or the length of the day, how do snakes kept in basements or other enclosed rooms with no environmental cues for the season outside "know" when it's winter? Given the artificial environment, if you manipulated the lighting schdedule and temperatures and then introduced a male why would it matter whether it was January or July?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Thumbs up Re: breeding outside of the season

Quote Originally Posted by the_deeb
    All the caresheets I've come across suggest that breeding usually occurs in winter during the early months of the year. However I've often seen people advertising snakes that were born very late in the year. I just picked up a female myself that was born at the end of October 05. Doesn't that suggest that breeding occured during the summer?

Also, since annual rhythms in most species are dictated by changes in temperature or the length of the day, how do snakes kept in basements or other enclosed rooms with no environmental cues for the season outside "know" when it's winter? Given the artificial environment, if you manipulated the lighting schdedule and temperatures and then introduced a male why would it matter whether it was January or July?
    Yes it is true some people are able to breed there snakes year round.Allthough the majority only breed during the early part of the year of which i myself choose also.My snakes are in my basement and even though i control the lighting cycle they are still aware of the seasons.
    Joe Haggard