Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,087

1 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Im a ratty gramps!

Just simply put them in a pillow case and give it a good smack or 2 on the ground. Simple and affective
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Just simply put them in a pillow case and give it a good smack or 2 on the ground. Simple and affective
    what about a mess? do you just pop em in the freezer then?

lord I so need a herper buddie around!
    *_*Erica*_*
    And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance,character; and character, hope.
    Romans 5:2-4

Thanks

If you have a WalMart near you, go to the computer section and get a can of Canned Air by Fellowes. It contains an agent that is very useful in euthanizing rodents. I have used it many times on whole litters of pink mice.

Place the whole litter in a plastic ziploc bag, put the plastic dispenser into a small hole where you haven't zipped the bag up all the way, and fill the bag up with the air. After a few minutes they will be gone, maybe a bit of agonal breathing(just nerves firing, they aren't feeling anything), but you can put them in the freezer so they go quicker.

I'm sorry for your loss. The two ratties I've had pass away did so in my arms, so I don't know what it is like to have them go without someone there. She sounds like she was a wonderful mom, even if she did end up having to go too soon.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    If you have a WalMart near you, go to the computer section and get a can of Canned Air by Fellowes. It contains an agent that is very useful in euthanizing rodents. I have used it many times on whole litters of pink mice.

Place the whole litter in a plastic ziploc bag, put the plastic dispenser into a small hole where you haven't zipped the bag up all the way, and fill the bag up with the air. After a few minutes they will be gone, maybe a bit of agonal breathing(just nerves firing, they aren't feeling anything), but you can put them in the freezer so they go quicker.

I'm sorry for your loss. The two ratties I've had pass away did so in my arms, so I don't know what it is like to have them go without someone there. She sounds like she was a wonderful mom, even if she did end up having to go too soon.
    can it be used for weanlings or med sized rats?Canned Air by Fellowes that is.
    *_*Erica*_*
    And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance,character; and character, hope.
    Romans 5:2-4

Thanks

If they are on the verge of dying, yes. You have to use this stuff in an airtight container or it won't be effective, which is why I mentioned the ziploc bag(small, confined space, not a huge box). When friends of mine have rats that need put to sleep, but they don't want the stress of the rat having to go to the vet, we use this method. It works very well and they are usually gone in a few minutes.

I would continue to use dry ice or vinegar/baking soda mixture for putting feeders to sleep, much less expensive. I use the canned air for the suffering or dying rodents, or babies so I don't have to waste dry ice. It's convenient if you just want one adult animal euthanized, or a litter of mice/rats.

Just my experiences...
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Registered User SnakesvsRodents's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    If they are on the verge of dying, yes. You have to use this stuff in an airtight container or it won't be effective, which is why I mentioned the ziploc bag(small, confined space, not a huge box). When friends of mine have rats that need put to sleep, but they don't want the stress of the rat having to go to the vet, we use this method. It works very well and they are usually gone in a few minutes.

I would continue to use dry ice or vinegar/baking soda mixture for putting feeders to sleep, much less expensive. I use the canned air for the suffering or dying rodents, or babies so I don't have to waste dry ice. It's convenient if you just want one adult animal euthanized, or a litter of mice/rats.

Just my experiences...
    You sure you no just sufficating them? What does that can of air contain co2? or just compressed air?
    Bernie

Thanks

Let me find the can and I will give you the ingredient...

Tetrafluorethane is one of the main ingredients. It is an asphyxiant and a refrigerant. It is denser than air so it replaces the air in the lungs, thus rendering then unable to breathe.

I have never seen any panicky behavior in any of the rodents we have euthanized using this method. They breathe it in gradually and since there is air to breathe, they don't seem to feel like they are suffocating. They start breathing it in and their respirations become slower and deeper, no twitching whatsoever, and they go to sleep and die.

Here's some good reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane
    --Becky--

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

For smaller rats and all mice, A nice flick on the head works well. If you don't have a full coat of hair, Throwing them in the freezer kills them in a minute or so. Its not that hard to kill young rodents
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I think we're talking humane euthanasia... Not a "quick" thwap in the head on the edge of a kitchen counter.

Reminds me of a car wreck and not dying instantly... Sounds like a great way to die.
    --Becky--

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    For smaller rats and all mice, A nice flick on the head works well. If you don't have a full coat of hair, Throwing them in the freezer kills them in a minute or so. Its not that hard to kill young rodents
    Flicking in the head and freezing are not humane ways to euthanize. What makes you think that throwing them in the freezer is humane?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast