Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

0 members and 3,226 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Looking for snakes in TN

Quote Originally Posted by JenHarrison
    Actually, the biggest concern is that they will be forced to share heat/hiding places. The reason they huddle together is because they both want to be in that particular spot at the same time, and are forced to tolerate each other in order to stay there. Having a cage mate stresses them out and makes them feel insecure, snakes are not social creatures. You also will never know which one pooped/peed and if mites somehow get in, they'll both get them.

But apparently you know everything there is to know about snakes.
    You should get YOUR facts straight before sharing your "expertise". The biggest concern with snakes sharing an enclosure is not that they will be forced to share heat/hiding places. How about the biggest concern being passing of disease? The huddling together is one snake showing dominance over the other not them fighting for heat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alecz
    oh and by the way no they are not being housed seperately and I'm not trying to be an ass but I would not like to hear about how they shouldn't be housed together my fiance and I are knowledgable enough to know facts about snakes. They are sleeping together and curling up together and none of them have parasites or anything that could harm one another, the biggest concern of anyone housing diff. snakes together is that one will crush the other. As the size they are now, that won't happen and when they grow a bit they will be housed seperatly anyways.
    I'm not trying to be an ... well a jerk about things either. I'm not going to sit and lecture you on everything, but am just going to point a few things out. I just have to say my peace, you can promptly ignore me and continue on your knowledable way. I agree the Germantown store is the best kept in the area, but they don't keep their bps in the best of circumstances. Housing together has NO benefits for a snake. The sleeping together and curling up together is a dominance issue. You cannot look at a snake and determine whether or not it has internal parasites, and for $15 it's a baragin to have that peace of mind. I wish you the best of luck with your snakes.

Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

But apparently you know everything there is to know about snakes.
    Maybe you should get a little more experience under your belt before dishing out "expert" advice. Didn't you just begin acquiring Ball Pythons recently?

Thanks

oh and by the way no they are not being housed seperately and I'm not trying to be an ass but I would not like to hear about how they shouldn't be housed together my fiance and I are knowledgable enough to know facts about snakes.
    Why would you not "want to hear" the facts about this issue? The notion that snakes should be housed seperately is fact. "Not knowing" is one thing, and we've helped a few people here and there understand, but having the facts in front of your face and ignoring them is at the highest tier of ignorance.

I don't want to spend money on something I can check or my fiance can check our selves, but thanks for the information. I got them from the petco on germantown parkway. They are the cleanest in the memphis area and nice people working there.
    Petco receives regular shipments of imported animals and I highly doubt that any Petco does any kind of de-worming to those animals. If you think they do, you need to ask them for records of the treatment or ask to see what they used. Believing anything else a salesperson says about that is just dumb.

I wish you the best of luck with your animals and hope you find it in you to give these animals the best life they can have. Their life is more important than your ego- no one will look down on you for learning something new about how to care for these guys.
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    Why would you not "want to hear" the facts about this issue? The notion that snakes should be housed seperately is fact. "Not knowing" is one thing, and we've helped a few people here and there understand, but having the facts in front of your face and ignoring them is at the highest tier of ignorance.

Petco receives regular shipments of imported animals and I highly doubt that any Petco does any kind of de-worming to those animals. If you think they do, you need to ask them for records of the treatment or ask to see what they used. Believing anything else a salesperson says about that is just dumb.

I wish you the best of luck with your animals and hope you find it in you to give these animals the best life they can have. Their life is more important than your ego- no one will look down on you for learning something new about how to care for these guys.
    Exactly!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alecz
    They are sleeping together and curling up together and none of them have parasites or anything that could harm one another, the biggest concern of anyone housing diff. snakes together is that one will crush the other. As the size they are now, that won't happen and when they grow a bit they will be housed seperatly anyways.
    How do you know that they don't have internal parasites? Has a vet done a fecal check for you yet?

Curling together is dominance - and likely one will feed better than the other. If you want to provide the best possible home for them, please separate them.

There are multiple reasons NOT to house them together, and not a single good reason TO house them together.

Thanks

I don't think that guy really wants to hear it...my response was mainly for other, more objective people viewing this, that want the best for their animals. Alecz can basically serve as an example of how not to be and what not to do.
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    Maybe you should get a little more experience under your belt before dishing out "expert" advice. Didn't you just begin acquiring Ball Pythons recently?
    2 years ago was the first. A few months ago were a few more. Who said I was an expert? I never claimed that. And I was repeated information given to me by someone who has kept snakes for over 15 years. SORRY!

You seem to have a real problem with me on almost every message board.
    Animals are my passion and my life.

Never, ever underestimate the vital importance of strict and proper quarantine. There is no such thing as being too careful. One mistake can cost a world of damage, and regret that lasts a lifetime.

Thanks

2 years ago was the first. A few months ago were a few more. Who said I was an expert? I never claimed that. And I was repeated information given to me by someone who has kept snakes for over 15 years. SORRY!

You seem to have a real problem with me on almost every message board.
    I have a problem with people giving incorrect advice. You seem to do it all over the place.

If you give out wrong information, expect to be taken to task on it.

Thanks

That's fine, but don't sit there and try to say I call my advice "expert".

What else have I said "all over the place" that's wrong?
    Animals are my passion and my life.

Never, ever underestimate the vital importance of strict and proper quarantine. There is no such thing as being too careful. One mistake can cost a world of damage, and regret that lasts a lifetime.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast