Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,594

0 members and 1,594 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,143
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jennifer660

Thread: Handling new BP

Thanks

Handling new BP

So very new to handling snakes, I'm use to handling much larger animals (horses, cows, dogs...you get the idea) and lizards. Handling snakes is a whole new deal for me and I hate to admit I'm a little hesitant because I'm not quite sure how to judge her when it is a good time to pick her up. (I hope this makes sense anyway) I bought her june 3rd and spent the last couple of days adjusting her tank, getting heat/humidity spot on and what not, with all that commotion hissed at me yesterday trying to put her back in her tank. Today was changing water and was going to handle her for a few minutes to get the both of us use to each other. Picke up her hide and as I go to grab her she is balled up with her head on top and moving her head where ever my hand went. Backed off and did not pick her up. Sooooo... what is the best way to start to handle her. Also how will I know when she is stressed or not. I understand good eating but she is new and will feed for the first time next week. Sorry if I sound stupid just dont want to cause any more stress on Sally than I need to and dont want to raise a pissed of snake.

Thanks

Re: Handling new BP

Quote Originally Posted by zrock
    So very new to handling snakes, I'm use to handling much larger animals (horses, cows, dogs...you get the idea) and lizards. Handling snakes is a whole new deal for me and I hate to admit I'm a little hesitant because I'm not quite sure how to judge her when it is a good time to pick her up. (I hope this makes sense anyway) I bought her june 3rd and spent the last couple of days adjusting her tank, getting heat/humidity spot on and what not, with all that commotion hissed at me yesterday trying to put her back in her tank. Today was changing water and was going to handle her for a few minutes to get the both of us use to each other. Picke up her hide and as I go to grab her she is balled up with her head on top and moving her head where ever my hand went. Backed off and did not pick her up. Sooooo... what is the best way to start to handle her. Also how will I know when she is stressed or not. I understand good eating but she is new and will feed for the first time next week. Sorry if I sound stupid just dont want to cause any more stress on Sally than I need to and dont want to raise a pissed of snake.
    Ball Pythons can be timid snakes but with some handling, you should be able to get her comfortable with you. Start with short 10-15 minute sessions every couple days (except for the 24 hours following a feeding). Let her crawl through your hands and get used to you. If she starts to get flighty, its been too long and its time to put her back. Eventually you will get to know your snake and will know when its the right time to handle her and when she should be left alone. Good luck!

Thanks

Question Re: Handling new BP

Thanks- I feel stupid for being timid around my new snake, I have always been fasinated by them just new to them. Hopefully a few days from now she wont remember that her owner is a total idiot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zrock
    Thanks- I feel stupid for being timid around my new snake, I have always been fasinated by them just new to them. Hopefully a few days from now she wont remember that her owner is a total idiot
    Don't feel stupid. Its a new thing for you and you will get used to them. Keep at it and welcome to the best site out there!

Thanks

She won't care...get a few feedings into her and you'll become..."He who provides rodents from the heavens!" LOL

Try not to overhandle before you establish a solid feeding pattern with her and never handle for 24-48 hours after a meal. Don't hover over her when you go to pick her up...just maybe a quick stroke down her back then lift...or just lift her. Hovering will trigger her to think you are a predator. Most BP's are a bit head shy but we have some that seem to enjoy the occasional chin rub.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    She won't care...get a few feedings into her and you'll become..."He who provides rodents from the heavens!" LOL

Try not to overhandle before you establish a solid feeding pattern with her and never handle for 24-48 hours after a meal. Don't hover over her when you go to pick her up...just maybe a quick stroke down her back then lift...or just lift her. Hovering will trigger her to think you are a predator. Most BP's are a bit head shy but we have some that seem to enjoy the occasional chin rub.
    Ok thats where I made my mistake, hovered over her for a bit before tried to grab her. Wont make that mistake again.

Thanks

Well they do have a reptilian brain....probably something like..."are you a predator? can I prey on you? will you prey on me?" sort of thing. I would imagine lots of baby ball pythons in the wild end up as somebody's dinner so they must have a fear response to something over them. Just makes sense.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I think you're right, Joanna. I wonder what the stats on wild survival are, anyway.

Thanks

Well I remember Adam saying recently that they are doing very well in the wild numbers wise so between natural predation and humans collecting them, they must be doing something right LOL. I would imagine the babies hide themselves as best they can but some are likely lost to predators just like nature intended.
    ~~Joanna~~