Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

0 members and 3,051 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New owner

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New owner

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Marius
    Ok new questions today. I live in a drier climate, Northern Nevada where the temps are high but the air is dry. During the day at this time of year I can keep the temp a constant temp. BUT, Humidity any suggestions to maintain humidity? For now i have a lamp over the water bowl to create some humidity. I have to invest in a hygrometer (right sp?) this weekend. Im taking my bulbs back after reading about the lighting not necessary for it. Im gonna invest in one of those red bulbs (any suggestions on that ie brand and type). Also I have young kids and was wondering down the road when this thing gets bigger will it pose a threat to them (other than the kids might aggitate it and make it stressed and potentially bite) but aside from that any real risks?
    Welcome to the forums! :

If you're using a glass tank with a screen-lid top...then cover about 80% of the screen with plastic wrap or contact paper. (Clear contact paper works well, doesn't look too goofy, and is very easily applied and removed if necessary.) Some folks get sheets of plexiglass cut to fit as well...just be sure you leave some ventilation space in the screen.

The best way to maintain humidity is to use platic tubs. I changed from glass to plastic for my BP, and am now actually working to keep the humidity from getting too high. (Still tweaking how much ventilation to allow.) And this is in Tucson...so we know "DRY"....LOL

The bulbs will also dry the air out. If you can achieve your temps with just UTH heat, I would go with that and skip the bulbs altogether. Otherwise, try a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which plugs into a hood like a bulb, but doesn't put out any light at all.

And other than a minor risk of being bitten, children are at no "mortal" risk from a ball python. However, I would never, ever allow the snake to be out with children without constant and direct adult supervision. (As much for the snake's protection as the child's.)
    -- Judy

Thanks

Adam's going to kill me, but I'm going to repost my tips and a link since it applies here too.

I had tanks in the past, and I used a UTH in combination with a 75w red lightbulb (Exo-Terra I believe). I had both of them plugged into a ReptiTemp 500R thermostat and with having the thermostat's probe right next to the thermometer's probe on the warm side, everything was perfect. As for humidity, switch to something like shredded coconut husk (the kind that comes in a compressed brick). It holds moisture very well and you only have to mist every 3-4 days or so. Plus it's 100% natural and safe to feed on, if any gets ingested it breaks down in the stomach just like food. I covered almost the entire screen top in 3 layers of tinfoil and 2 layers of black duct tape. This kept heat and humidity in well.

I made a thread with pics about all that stuff, check it out:

http://forgottenfriend.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642
    Animals are my passion and my life.

Never, ever underestimate the vital importance of strict and proper quarantine. There is no such thing as being too careful. One mistake can cost a world of damage, and regret that lasts a lifetime.

Thanks

unfortunately my work has those pics blocked (photobucket) I dont have a PC at home anymore so i wont be able to view those pics..bummer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JenHarrison
    Adam's going to kill me
    No way Jen, I'm out of the Marine Corps ... my killin days are over. Now that I know it's just the same advice in multiple threads and I'm not going completely nuts in my old age, I feel much better.

It's good stuff, I think that JLC or Smulkin or someone should throw it up in a sticky for you ... that way you won't have to keep typing it over and over. Ya got my vote!!!!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

LOL! Marines crack me up...the AIT I went to handled all 5 branches of service, so I had Air Force, Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard in with us Army kids. The Marines would clump together in one corner of the room and were really loud whenever they'd talk...plus everything was "Er Kill...." If they got a test score back, it was "Er Kill 87".

My husband still makes fun of me because I dated a Marine before I dated him.

And oddly enough, my AIT was at Fort Meade, right where you are. I wasn't a fan of Laurel...but then again, all any of us ever saw of it was bars and cheap hotel rooms.

Never, ever underestimate the vital importance of strict and proper quarantine. There is no such thing as being too careful. One mistake can cost a world of damage, and regret that lasts a lifetime.

Thanks

but then again, all any of ever saw of it was bars and cheap hotel rooms.
    Sounds like we might have come close to trading paint a time or two.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

I wasn't a fan of Laurel...but then again, all any of ever saw of it was bars and cheap hotel rooms.
    In that case, I'm suprised you've never ran into mr w!
    -Brad

Thanks

LOL!

As much as I hate the Army right now, those were some good times out there.

You know the Knight's Inn out on the main drag behind McDonald's? Yeah, that was the destination my husband and I headed to every weekend on pass. *shudders* It was one of the places that AIT servicemembers were banned from by our commands, but everyone went there anyway. lol! I swear I saw like 5 drug deals go down.

Thanks

You know the Knight's Inn out on the main drag behind McDonald's? Yeah, that was the destination my husband and I headed to every weekend on pass. *shudders*
    Yup ... I live in a big development right behind there ... you guys could have come down to use the pool when you were "done".

-adam

Thanks

Well NOW you tell me! LOL! I suppose if I'd have been more active on the different forums while I was there, I would have found out you were close by. I would have gone AWOL to come see your collection, I missed my animals so much while I was there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast