Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,106

2 members and 3,104 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

temp help, please

got a new bp last thurs. (approx 6 months, not sexed). For a temporary setup, I have what is essentially a 10 g. critter cage (different brand, older), uth (zoomed I think, for 10-20 gal), 8.5 in clamp lamp w/3 choices for bulbs, 50W & 100W red, and 75W white. Aspen substrate, water dish, hide, tree, dial thermometer on each side (not stuck on, resting wherever I want to measure).

Here's the trouble....I'm not sure that the tank is getting the right temp, in most cases, it's too cool. The 100W red seems way too hot for that small of a tank, so I'm leaving that alone for now. I've been using the 75 for day, and 50 for night, but in each case, I think it's 5 degrees or so (more?) cooler than what I would want. I'm not sure how much heat is coming from the pad...the hide is over the pad, and under the lamp, and it is warmer under the hide, where Monty spends the most time (almost all the time, another poss. indicator that it's too cold). My house thermostat is set at 72, but that's upstairs, so it's more like 68 downstairs, where the cage is. right now, w/the uth and 75w light, the cool side is right around 70 degrees, and warm side is around 80. on the tree branch right by the light, it gets to 100 or so (that part's not too cold, obviously), and I'll need to check again to see what it is in the hide....right now measuring 80 just outside of it. The 75 has only been in for a little today, so I think it warms up a little more, but not a lot. I think those are about the temps it gets at night w/the 50. My understanding is I want it more like 80 (maybe a LITTLE cooler) on the cool side, 85-90 on the warm, and then around 95 for basking.....(might be off a bit). If that's the case, what is the best way for me to reach those temps? If I can do it w/what I have, that's great. The less I have to spend immediately, the better. I am on my way to get a dig therm/hygro w/probe, to make sure temps are correct. In the next month or 2, I will either buy a 30 gal breeder critter cate, 30x18x12, or build a cage my self, from that size to 4x2x2 or smth, which means 2 things....one, the small cage is pretty temporary, so I don't want to buy some huge elaborate heating system for it (shouldn't need one for that small of a tank, I don't think), and two, which is I guess related, anything that could later be used for the bigger tank is of course a plus.

Obviously I'll spend whatever is needed to keep Monty healthy, but, like most people, I can't afford to buy more stuff if I don't need it. I hope this post isn't too confusing.....to boil it down, the room is cooler than most on here seem to be (maybe 68 degrees), and I'm having trouble getting correct temps for the tank. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: temp help, please

forgot a thing or two.....Monty was getting ready to shed they day s/he was bought....has started some, but it's just to about the eyes, and some random pieces further back. I've been spraying, in case this is a humidity prob (won't have hygro until I go get one in a minute....). I don't know how long the process should take once it starts (ie lady at the store said thurs looks like it will happen soon (color was getting dull), started the next day, but hasn't progressed much since then....skin looks wrinkly or smth; don't know if that's common for shedding....wasn't like that before shedding started. For the most part that's not a temp question, but thought it might have to do with why Monty stays in one place most of the time....in addition to the low temps.

Thanks

You want to be at 82-84 on the cool, 92-94 on the warm. What are you using to measure temps and control the heat?

Thanks

Welcome to the site and grats on your BP.

Assuming you'vealready read through the caresheet http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=52 we'll of course do whatever we can to get you helped out.

First thing you might want to consider is gettign a digital thermometer - they can be found for less than $10 and are a lot more accurate than the dial or stick-on types (our old one's varied up to 13 degrees off). (edit - just read you were headed to snag one - kudos)

If you have a screen lid that is where most of your heat is going - straight upward - you could cover it with clear ConTac paper or something of that nature but be sure to leave corners or short sides open so air exchange can take place. This can make the most considerable difference if you are dealing with a screen lid - it will also help retain humidity.

As aesthetically unpleasing as they might first seem the sterilite tub route is great for retaining heat, humidity and giving you more room than a 10gallon tank without a substantial increase in cost. Took me forever to "warm up" to them though - but the aesthetic hangups and desire fo transparency of the enclosure were my own personal hangups and the snakes fared much better for me getting over it.

Daniel has written a great article on the shedding process you can find here: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=57
    Last edited by Smulkin; 07-03-2006 at 12:46 PM. Reason: my poor spellink

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

to keep proper temps in a glass tank in a 68 deg room, you will need a good heat source and a good thermostat to control them. you are losing alot of heat to the cold room!

i would do a wooden/plastic cage with radiant heat panels or ceramic heat emitters and a good thermostat. or maybe put the cage in a warmer area/room?

vaughn

Thanks

thanks for the help....I'm only home for a minute at the moment. I'm hoping to eventually build a cage, which will be mostly wood, so that should help. As for now, got the acu-rite, placed it against the back wall (so under the lamp, but sitting on the ground), with probe in the far cool corner. Right now it reads 91.8, 74.5, and about 41% humidity....I'm going to try switching the location of the main unit & the probe to see if it's reading too much heat from the lamp. Otherwise, it's just the cool side that appears too cool.....with my current glass setup w/screen, other than covering part of the screen (will do asap), how can I raise humidity? Can't fit a much bigger bowl. Have used damp paper towels in hide to help....how often can I mist? The lamp dries that up pretty quickly....thanks for responses!

Thanks

You can use a different substrate like cypress to raise your humidity.
    Just a reptile lover!!!!!

Thanks

*updated questions, incl shedding & feeding* Re:temp help, please

Ok, got the acu-rite, and have found that using the 50watt red/night lamp along with the uth, the cool side is about 75 and the warm side about 85. Under the hide it is warmer, and higher up, incl. on the branch under the basking light. I wouldn't mind a few degrees higher overall, but this seems to fit in the boundaries of most of the suggested temps I have read (have seen quite a variety). The humidity averages 57-60% now, without spraying or anything (about half the screen is covered). So now my focus is shifting to eating/shedding, unless someone tells me I'm still too low on the temps. I've mentioned the state of the shedding already, which hasn't changed much. So for about five days, some pieces have come off here and there, but it looks like it's all ready to come off, and looks wrinkly. I need to do more research to see, but my understanding is once it's ready, it shouldn't take that long if everything is going well (I've read a lot, but prior to actually having the potential problem). Also, s/he ate last Monday (meaning over a week ago) at the pet store. I was told to wait to feed again until after shedding is complete. If the shedding is indeed taking longer than it should, should I still wait on feeding? I know they can go a while, but I don't know if I should make an attempt, or deal with the shedding first. I will be reasearching all this, but any help is appreciated.

thanks,
    Jeff

Thanks

Re: *updated questions, incl shedding & feeding* Re:temp help, please

IMO your temps are still too low. 82-84 cool, 92-94 warm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: *updated questions, incl shedding & feeding* Re:temp help, please

Quote Originally Posted by jmueller216
    the cool side is about 75 and the warm side about 85.
    Like Jamie said, way too cool .. 85 isn't warm enough for proper digection and 75 is cool enough to weaken the immune system and risk respiratory infection.

82-84 on one side, 92-94 on the other ... get r done!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast