Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,047

4 members and 3,043 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Should eating look difficult?

I've recently switched from two large rats per feeding to one X-large rat. (These aren't standard sizes (if such a thing exists), they're just what I call the rats at the pet store here.) The rats are about 7 inches around, which is roughly as much (maybe a tad more?) than Monty & Polly are. They've both had two feedings on these larger rats with no problems whatsoever -- they're done in 15 minutes or so; the lump goes straight down; no regurges; the lump disappears in a day or two.

My concern stems from the fact that last night I actually had the opportunity to watch Monty eat for the first time: that looked _hard_. To these mammalian eyes, it looked like the poor fellow was struggling to get the rat down....I've never seen a snake eat before, though, so I could just be projecting. Aside from the actual process of eating, he seems quite content -- he slithered back into his hide straight away...and the last time he ate a meal this size (two weeks ago) he was out for a while the next night (and didn't seem to have much of a lump) and back to his normal cheery self the day after that.

So....should I switch back to two "large" rats or am I just being a mammal? (Actually, I suppose the proper question would be am I just being a non-snake?) Do your balls look like they're working hard at eating (turning his head from side-to-side, shifting around to try differnt positions, dragging the rat a bit to get settled)? My feeling is that he's OK, though that's probably the largest prey he could get down....but I'd rather ask and be sure, for his sake.

Thanks! (...and sorry for rambling...)
    1.1 Ball Pythons: Monty, Polly
    1.2 Stick Insects: Tiamat, Hecuba and a still unnamed male

Thanks

Re: Should eating look difficult?

Well, it's probably fine, but it is not necessary to stuff them full. A single large rat per week is more than enough for even the largest of ball pythons. When feeding a very large prey item, it does increase the risk of regurgitation, as you said.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

again, as Shelby said, it works but from personal experience i find that feeding meals that size (or of equal proportions) causes stress on the snake. the feeding response may still be strong but i know with my Monty he did NOT want to be touch for 4 days after such meals he would hiss and get all defensive so i reverted to smaller meals. but that is just me, my snake, and my opinion.
    Alex
    {1.0.0 ball pythons- MONTYcurently being fostered}
    0.3.0 older sisters
    3.0.0 older brother-in-laws
    3.0.0 little brothers
    0.1.0 cutest lil sister ever
    New!!! just added!!!3.0.0. nephew!

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I guess I didn't mention: I don't feed them rats this size every week! My kids are on a biweekly feeding schedule.

While browsing through the new posts, I came upon another thread which actually shows pretty well how Monty looks when he's eating. Then it occured to me that the most helpful thing might simply be to post some of the pictures I took. So, here they are!

So....am I over-reacting?
    1.1 Ball Pythons: Monty, Polly
    1.2 Stick Insects: Tiamat, Hecuba and a still unnamed male

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

The stretching looks normal, but that's an awfully big rat. I believe that Adam said he feeds small rats to his colony.

You might consider switching to a weekly feeding schedule of one small/medium rat a week.

I have two adult females that are both rat eaters. I buy what the pet store classifies as small rats, they each get one a week. Now yesterday, I did tell the girl "I want the largest of the smalls" (they are priced differently for small/med/large). I think because I come in there each week, she actually gave me two mediums at a small price, because these guys were 1 1/2 x as big as the ones I normally get.

But in any case, after getting those ratties home, I would have preferred smaller ones, but the snakes didn't care, though it did take them a little longer to eat.

Thanks

You know, I think your snakes are just fine eating those large rats every other week. Some people like to feed smaller things more often, or bigger things less often. I don't think it really makes much difference. As long as your snakes eat and keep it down, I don't see the problem. It's not like they'd get specific things on a regular schedule in Africa anyway.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

On those cute little "what kind of animal would you be if you could pick" quizzes etc, as much as I love snakes and they're one of my all time favorite critters... I never pick snakes. Everything they do looks like so much effort! Eating, digesting, shedding... It all looks difficult to me!
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007