Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

1 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Kyna's refusing to eat

Okay folks, I'm about stumped here. Kyna our female whose about 2.5 years old and currently weighs 1,100 grams has suddenly stopped eating or eating very sporadically the past month. She's not acting wierd in fact she's almost overly friendly! We open her tub to put in her usual live prey and she bypasses the prey and crawls up on us. Not acting stressed or flightly or anything....it's like she just wants out of her tub to hang out??? I'm totally confused here. I know a snake can't want to socialize but why would Kyna choose to crawl all over Mike and I over taking down a perfectly yummy prey item? She's normally a wonderful eater and an all round great BP. All the other snakes in the new BP room are eating except Kyna (and of course she's the one I want to get some size on....typical lol).

Should we stop handling her completely? We've cut down to minimal handling lately with her but she still seems to want out of her tub everytime I open it for any reason. Kyna was a pet snake all her life before we adopted her, so handled a lot as a baby and has always been the easiest BP to handle - never head shy, never balling up, that sort of thing.

Any suggestions or just wait it out and see if she'll just start eating again.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Re: Kyna's refusing to eat

Jo, I would say that if she looks healthy, don't sewat the eating. By the way, they're ball pythons, they always quit eating right before they get to the size that you want them to be. I quit talking in my snake room, I only converse with my wife by writing little notes, for fear of the snakes hearing me. j/k. Good luck, she will probably start eating again soon.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Maybe she's going through the teenage angst? I know Dandylion did something similair when she hit that weight, but she kicked back into full gear in no time.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i feel your pain Jo. zulu isnt eating either and im completely stumped. i've stopped handling him. im just waiting for him to start back up again because he's definitely not skinny, he's actually pretty beefy lookin.

its kinda odd though because him and vanessa are in the same exact rack with the same exact environment and she's eating like a monster! last feeding the rat didnt take 3 steps until she slammed it.

i would say dont worry about. she'll come around. vanessa actually did the same thing like Christie was talking about when she was that weight. she just got over it too.
    -marshall

Thanks

LOL Tim I swear I like your "no talking, notes only" idea Thanks guys, I know Kyna's okay and eventually will eat again. Just frustrating, as she's in the exact same environment and every other BP around her is snarfing down their weekly rat quite happily. Ohhhhhhhh Ball Pythons are sent to try us LOL.

Should have figured it would be Kyna that would have me pulling my hair out LOL. She's never done anything like "most" BP's...if it's in the book and something that's the norm for BP's....Kyna's always done it differently LOL.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

So just skip a feeding, and try again next week. I don't think that there is anything to wory about.