Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,320

1 members and 3,319 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

help with feeding

hey my ball python wont eat she ate once in the pet shop but she wont eat for me ive tried cutting the fuzzie mouse, scenting it with a pinky, leaving it alone in the dark and holding the snake and showing it the fuzzy but nothing will work could anyone give me any ideas on what to do thanks

Thanks

Re: help with feeding

Welcome to the forum! I'd love to offer suggestions, but it would help if I knew a lot more about the snake. How long have you had him? How old was he? What was he eating before? Describe his cage and setup in detail.

There are many reasons why a Ball won't eat, but most commonly it's due to stress which is due to a husbandry issue (inadequate temperatures, too much handling, not enough hides, etc.).

-Lawrence

Thanks

well i wasnt told what it was eating in the petshop but i think the reason is because ive only had her 2days so im not going to handle her until next week when i will try to feed again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Very good idea. Let him/her be for about a week, to get settled in to it's new tank, then, drop the food item in the tank and walk away. Let the snake eat alone. After you have established that he/she is eating great for a few feedings, then you can try to stay and watch, but until then, let her feel comfortable in eating.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Personally I've had the best results when I dangle the mouse in front of my bp. He can be sitting in a hide and would lunge out and strike it. When ever I just set the mouse in the tank, he doesn't seem to be all that interested. But you do the little mouse dance in front of his face, and that sucker is going down the hatch.

Thanks

Unhappy Re: help with feeding

i tried leaving the mouse in the tank next to her hide over night but she didnt eat it im getting worried now ive tried dangling the mouse but she just doesnt seem interested any ideas????????

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Thumbs up Re: help with feeding

Well then there is something wrong with you husbandry i bet.What are your temps in his enclosure? How many hides do you have? Are you still attempting to handle him/her? When you attempt to fed him/her and it does not eat when do you try to feed him again? If he does not eat i suggest you leave him alone for three days before trying to feed again.Your temps on the hot side should be 90ish.If your temps are correct try this with your snake.Place the snake in a brown bag(one like you packed lunches in for school) and place rodent in also.Clip the bag closed and leave them alone in the bag inside the enclosure(do not set on the heat source).Check on them in about a hour.If this does not help it to start to eat let us know.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

It sounds to me like you are trying dead prey. You might want to try a live prey item using the brown paper bag trick. Just make sure you use a rodent that still has its eyes closed and cant do any damage to your snake while in the bag.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Thanks Jamie i missed that part
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

You have only had her for two days, and you say that she ate at the pet store (but then you say you don't know, though...). She may just not be hungry. Try to wait a few days and I bet she'll get the munchies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast