Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

1 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Giant snakes in general

I love snakes down to the core, but this is what has kept me from the giants. Why actually have a giant when:

a.) they get enormous!
    b.) bites can be fatal
    c.)they can kill you in a snap
    d.)parents are not to fond of them

I mean yes, you'll come across giants that are angels! But knowing the danger,why have them? They can escape very easily too.

But is there a way to prevent them? Or atleast lower the chances? I'd love to get a retic or maybe a burmese.

Thanks

Re: Giant snakes in general

Quote Originally Posted by Gizm0BP
    I love snakes down to the core, but this is what has kept me from the giants. Why actually have a giant when:

a.) they get enormous!
    b.) bites can be fatal
    c.)they can kill you in a snap
    d.)parents are not to fond of them

I mean yes, you'll come across giants that are angels! But knowing the danger,why have them? They can escape very easily too.

But is there a way to prevent them? Or atleast lower the chances? I'd love to get a retic or maybe a burmese.
    I can say that a through d could also be said about cats and dogs.
    I need a little clarification on your last statement.
    "But is there a way to prevent them? Or atleast lower the chances? I'd love to get a retic or maybe a burmese."
    I think if you have enough experience with reptiles and are comfortable in your ability to care for a large animal (and have a partner who feels the same) it is easily possible. I know people do it all the time. I'm not saying by any means that it is an easy thing to do, but with enough training and respect it can be done.
    Even if we didn't run the rescue, I truly believe I would still house a large snake.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Reptile Dysfunction Lucifers_Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

"They can very easily escape"

On that note any snake could, given the enclosure hasnt been properly locked and adjusted to the snakes needs.When the enclosure has enough locks and weights and contraptions it doesnt make it very easy to escape. However there is still a remote possibility even if you have taken all the precautions etc etc etc, it applies to almost all snakes, not only giants

Its useally not the bite that's fatal, its the coil. When the snake is large enough and your alone is most likely when a deaths occur, but when you own a large constrictor you should take the precaution to never handle it alone, or without enough people. 2 men woudlnt be able to take down a 20 foot burm barehanded . I have a burm and she is only about 9 feet, but I dont take her out without another person, ever. Why take the chance?

Some parents hate snakes no matter how big they are, my aunt for example loves big ones, but hates little ones , my mother hates all kinds . Everyone is different.

With the proper precautions , housing , experience and respect owning a giant can be a very rewarding experience, dont mean to chew ya up but taking care of a giant and keeping it healthy and being smart about it ...isnt much of an easy task.

Thanks

Why? Because there's nothing else like them. Most responsible giant keepers are awed by them in a way that no other snake can.

A: yeah exactly.. that's one reason why they are so awesome!

B: nope.. but as said, constriction can. People who are constricted by their pet snakes usually made a stupid feeding error.. most of the time it is a mistake the keeper made that gets them into trouble. That's why inexperienced people shouldn't have giants.

C: so can your car, your dog, your horse.. etc etc.

D: well that depends.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gizm0BP
    I think you probably need to work on keeping your ball python properly first before you even think about a retic or a burmese.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    I think you probably need to work on keeping your ball python properly first before you even think about a retic or a burmese.
    I think I'll have to agree with this. I read some of your posts about you falling asleep with your ball python laying next to you and letting him free roam in your room. Thats a pretty bad idea with a ball, but it is a VERY bad idea with a burm or retic.

I have always loved albino burms (probably my all-time favorite snake) and I almost bought one the other day, but after some very careful consideration I came to the conclusion that I could not provide the absolute best care to an animal that size and passed on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Reptiles
    I can say that a through d could also be said about cats and dogs.
    I need a little clarification on your last statement.
    "But is there a way to prevent them? Or atleast lower the chances? I'd love to get a retic or maybe a burmese."
    I think if you have enough experience with reptiles and are comfortable in your ability to care for a large animal (and have a partner who feels the same) it is easily possible. I know people do it all the time. I'm not saying by any means that it is an easy thing to do, but with enough training and respect it can be done.
    Even if we didn't run the rescue, I truly believe I would still house a large snake.
    Rusty
    Requesting picture of said domestic housecat that would fall into a-d?

PS this is the closest i could find, and it would require me being a rat to fall into a-c

bryan

Thanks

Cats, feral or domestic have a very nasty bacteria ridden mouth. A good bite from one left untreated could do some seriose damage. As with any bacteria infection it could presumably kill a human. I don't think it happens often in todays medicine era, but it is definatly not impossible.
    Rusty
    PS ask any vet, vet tech, dog groomer who they would rather be bitten by, a dog or a cat. With all the bites I have experienced I would rather be bitten by a good sized shepard then a cat believe it or not.
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

Well here's a dog groomer that definitely agrees!

We have 8 groomers at our shop.. and only one is crazy enough to groom cats. She was bitten by one once, it broke the tip of her finger bone. She went straight to the hospital for antibiotics, but still there was a major infection and she was on an IV for weeks.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    Well here's a dog groomer that definitely agrees!

We have 8 groomers at our shop.. and only one is crazy enough to groom cats. She was bitten by one once, it broke the tip of her finger bone. She went straight to the hospital for antibiotics, but still there was a major infection and she was on an IV for weeks.
    Owwwwch! After hearing that... even though a bite from a dog hurts a heck of a lot more than a bite from a cat, I'd rather take the dog.
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast