Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,172

0 members and 3,172 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

not coming out of her hide

Hi, Just wondering if it is normal for a BP to stay in her hide for a long time. as of right now it's been about 24 hours.

I have resolved the temp situation, the warm side is at 92, the cool at 84.

she is in the new hide I bought her on the cool side.

There is only one thing I deem to have been stressful and that was what made her go in the first place.

it was morning and she was just coming out of her hide...then my dog unexpectadly jumped on my bed to say hi. She was startled and flew back into her hide. (the dog is normally not ever allowed in my room cuz my veiled cham gets freaked.) so anyways. She popped her out 20 min later and had a quick drink then went back in. She didn't even go out to roam around last night. BUT, she has been laying with her head out of the hide.

I dunno, if she's stressed or not, but she's been in there for a while...is this normal?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: not coming out of her hide

They hide a lot ... all the time actually ... they are nocturnal animals, so the best time to see them crawling around is a couple hours after it gets dark.

During the settling in period they might spend a week or more in their hide until they feel "safe" in their new homes.

The other thing that you might want to do is pick up an identical hide for the warm side ... that way you know that your snake is sitting on the cool side because that's where it wants to be and not because it likes the cool side hide better ... if both hides are the same, your snake is more likely to thermoregulate itself more naturally.

Hope this helps and good job getting those temp right.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty