Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

3 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Quick Question from a newb

Today was the 6th day i had my snake and it was feeding day. I have read up on how to feed and take care of my snake etc on many websites. However today i was nervous because i had to feed him. So waited till around 5:30 when he came from under his log.... and began to bask... After about 10mins i took him and put him in a shoe box and placed the thawed out fuzzy and he jabbed at it and then proceeded to circle around the box..... (he didnt take it in his mouth) about 10 mins later i was not sure of what i was sapose to do... so i took the heat lamp and put it over him (on top of the metal mesh covering) and then two mins later he began to eat. First off it was so interesting to see him eat and i was very excited not only because i thought it was cool but because he ate first try frozen mouse. anyway my question was after he had swallowed it and it had moved two or three inches down his body i proceeded to put him back in the cage. However now he is under his wooden log and isnt coming out...... normally this time of night he is out going for a swim and basking.... is this normal?? please let me know

also should i move the the heat lamp over to where his hide is? so that way it is warmer? it is only 70 on that side of the tank while the other side is around 87

Also last Question
    When he ate the mouse there was a little piece of wood shaving/carpeting on the mouse and its in his mouth.... not like hurting him or nething but sitting on the corner... i dont know if he will get it out or should i try?

thanks
    Jon

Thanks

Re: Quick Question from a newb

Welcome to the site!

Hopefully I can answer most of your questions. First, it is perfectly normal for them to sit in their hide for a couple of days after a meal. Digestion takes a lot of energy from them, so it's also a good idea not to mess with them for a couple of days after a meal.

It sounds like your temps are much too cool. If the cool side is at 70, he will probably get a respiratory infection some time in the future. The temps should be in the low 80s on the cool side and the low 90s on the warm side. Also, it's a good idea to provide a hide on each side so they can feel secure while thermoregulating.

Finally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the wood shaving. It will either dislodge eventually, or he may end up swallowing it and he can easily digest it. If it was a large piece or if it looked pretty thick/sharp, I would suggest trying to remove it, but if not just let it be. You mentioned that you placed him in another box to feed. This can often stress them out and you might be better off and get a better feeding response if you feed him in his cage. Being that you're feeding frozen/thawed you can use tongs to dangle it an inch or two in front of his face and he should stike and eat it.

I hope that answered most of your questions.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Here's our Ball Python caresheet, please give it a good read over so you can properly adjust your husbandry. With temps that cool your snake is likely to get sick or not be able to properly digest it's prey and regurge (vomit) it back up. Please remember to not handle your snake for 48 hours after it eats. It's normal for a BP to be in it's hides a lot but especially when they are digesting or in shed. As long as you get your temps and humidity right and provide a hide on each side of your enclosure, your snake will know what to do and move back and forth to thermoregulate.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=52
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanksfor the help... i am going to purchase a digi temp and hyg monitor today because i have only the analogue ones... as for the temp... i will be purchasing a heating pad... i was wondering what heating pad would be good ? please give me some options if u have any advice...

Thanks

If you are going to go to the pet store, any of the brand name UTH (under tank heaters) will work fine. They are located in the reptile section and are square/rectangular, plastic encased heating elements. You would want to get one that big enough to cover 1/3 of the length of the enclosure. If you have time to wait (which it doesnt sound like as you want to get the temps corrected ASAP) you could go to www.reptilebasics.com and order the heat from there. Hope this helps!

Thanks

I just set up my digi's and the undertank heater.... right now the temp is at 95 on the hot side... and 87 on the colder side..... my question is that sound ok? also i cant get the humidity over 60... i have two huge water bowls in there and i misted.... any idea what i can do to bring it up.... while the cold side is at 60 humidity... the hot side is at 49 and i dont think that is good..

please let me know

Thanks!

Thanks

I would get the warm side down a degree or two which should bring the cool side down right where you want to be. As far as humidity, 50% is more than enough outside of shed time where you want to bump it up by putting in a humid hide, misting daily or putting the water bowl over the heat to create humidity. Sounds like you have it pretty well where you need to be!

Thanks

Just like Jamie said! LOL Don't forget to that your enclosure will take a bit of time to stabilize itself and that if the room it's in tends to flucuate a lot during the day or night you may have to watch the enclosure and tweak it appropriately. Sounds like you are close though and it's normal to have to fiddle with new setups a bit.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thank you both for all your help... looks like my conditions are slowly begining to settle in.... I appreciate all the help!!!