Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,244

2 members and 3,242 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Breeding questions

OK here is the deal.. I came to this forum looking for answers on how to breed rats. Well I have started that and they are breeding. While i was here I am now very interested in breeding balls.

I would like to get 5 females and a spider male and go from there.

My question is what rack plan have you all found to be the best?

Can you breed in that same rack or do you have to make a seperate breeding rack?

I am not going to do this for money just for enjoyment of breeding. The spider male is alot of money.. is there a cheaper way to go but still ahve some great visual mophs without having to buy 100% het male and 100% het female like with pied balled ( as they two can get spendy)

I would also like to be able to breed them this next fall , i need females that are aleast 30 months and weigh 1200+ and a male that is at least 15 months and weighs 800+

let me know what you guys think

thanks for the help

sevo

Thanks

Re: Breeding questions

While i was here I am now very interested in breeding balls.
    Welcome! Join the club!

My question is what rack plan have you all found to be the best?
    There's a ton of rack systems out there and that is by far the most efficient way to house and breed ball pythons. Read up on rack design and heating options. Here's three manufacturers, listed in order from cheapest to most expensive, that I've seen personally:

www.animalplastics.com
    www.herpenclosures.com
    www.freedombreeder.com

Can you breed in that same rack or do you have to make a seperate breeding rack?
    Males can be introduced to females' normal enclosures. No seperate breeding rack will be needed.

is there a cheaper way to go but still ahve some great visual mophs without having to buy 100% het male and 100% het female
    Dominand and Co-dominant morphs such as spider, pastel, and mojave are a cost effective way to produce visible morphs because you will see visible morph offspring when bred to one normal parent.

I would also like to be able to breed them this next fall , i need females that are aleast 30 months and weigh 1200+ and a male that is at least 15 months and weighs 800+
    Get ready to be persuasive with your checkbook. Breedable adult females are extremely valuable to breeders and you will pay an absolute premium for them at this time of year. You will also want to make sure you are careful with who you are buying from- someone could be selling you WC adult females or captive females that they have attempted to breed a few seasons, and never produce, basically passing along their problem to you.
    Last edited by elevatethis; 05-31-2006 at 02:36 PM.
    -Brad

Thanks

elevate.. great reply. Thank you very much.

What would you recomend doing?? should I buy one female that will be ready to breed this fall or should i buy some 05 hatched females and just grow them out.

Let me know what you think the best plan is

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Sevo, IMO it depends on how big your wallet is, and how "patient" you are......if you can go the patient route, I'd go for the group of 05's...it'll be easier on the wallet, but you will have to grow em out to breeding size/weight, which may take up to another 2 years....they grow at different rates, so that's just an estimate. On the other hand, if you buy an adult pair, breed them this comin season,hatch eggs, and have more lil BPs of your own to grow out...but it won't be nearly as easy on your wallet as the other choice....esp. for the female..and especially a morph...compare prices of 05' females (maybe 300-400g now?) to a 1200g female....a HUGE price difference.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

local pet shops/classifieds/rescues are also a good way to find adult females too.

shop around alot look for breeders with good reps and time in the business.

vaughn

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo
    elevate.. great reply. Thank you very much.

What would you recomend doing?? should I buy one female that will be ready to breed this fall or should i buy some 05 hatched females and just grow them out.

Let me know what you think the best plan is

thanks
    Its really all about how much money you can afford to put down, honestly. I mean, think about this: how much is a normal girl, listed at $300 on kingsnake.com, to a breeder who has a pastel, or a spider, or a lesser? I'd say significantly more than $300! There's an awesome guy on here named Adam whom I'm sure you get to know- he once said that to him normal girls are GOLD.

My advice to you if you can't afford to buy into a ready-to-breed stock (which most of us CAN NOT, at least not me for sure!) I'd recommend that you pick up some '05 girls, and if they eat well enough, would be ready by the fall of '07 for cooling and breeding. Do that first, then shop around for the best looking '06 baby male you can find. He'll be ready to breed in no time. Pastels and spiders becoming very affordable for someone serious about getting into breeding.
    -Brad

Thanks

Get a rack setup and get about 3-4 05' females and an 06' male pastel or spider and you will be ready by 07.

My plan is to get 3 females and one 06' pastel male.
    I already have a big 05' female that weighs more than 400gms, and an 06 female. Today im buying an 05' female and in August i will buy my male pastel.

I have have no worries and no pressure(since i am 14) so my plan is to get a lot of females and some co-dom morph males, some het pairs, so i can be ready to breed the pastel group during 08' and the hets when i am in college (about 2011).