Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,355

3 members and 3,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thermostat question!!???

Ok so I was using a dimmer switch but just got a thermostat. Here is my question and a lil info on my set-up..
    I have a piece of 12x12 tile laying in my tank over the UTH (distribute heat better). I then have aspen as substrate over the tile.
    Right now the aspen is reading 82-84f. The tile is reading 94-96.
    I do not have a thick layer of aspen and the other day i noticed that he moved the aspen and was laying directly on the tile on part of his body. I think it was his belly while was digesting. So my question is, do I keep the tile temp where it is and not worry about the aspen so much? I mean if he is laying on the aspen wouldnt it compact it and allow for the aspen to heat up more? Or do I try and get the top of hte aspen to 88f, but then if i do that i risk him moving the aspen around and laying directly on the tile and possibly burning himself!!?? Everything was perfect before i swithced to the thermostat and now its all messed up!! Errrrr!!
    Mike & Wendy

0.0.1 Ball Python
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.0.1 Leopard Gecko
    2.0.0 Siberian Husky & Jack Russell/shiatzu
    3.1.0 Small Humanoids

Thanks

Re: Thermostat question!!???

Just keep playin with it. 82-84 on the cool side, and 92-94 on the warm side. 96 to 97 won't hurt him if he lays directly on the tile, just replace the aspen when you replenish water, and clean poop and urates and you should be fine.
    Ken

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ddbjdealer
    Just keep playin with it.
    Ken speaks from experience.

About thermostats! Mind out of the gutter people!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    Ken speaks from experience.
    Dang right! lol... In my experience... if you adjust it more than twice..... you're just fixin' it up better. LOL
    Ken

Thanks

Dang right! lol... In my experience... if you adjust it more than twice..... you're just fixin' it up better. LOL
    I adjust my stat all the time. Sometimes in front of other people.

Thanks

I now have three different types of stats... I'm always comparing size/compacity and ease of adjustments. I'm about to set up my new Helix's today as a matter of fact. I was going to wait until my rack order got here, but I can't wait!!! lol

I got 4 Helix's and they've just been sitting for a week waiting for the new racks to get here... but I don't think thats going to happen for at least another week... so I'll set up two of the helix's, and move the herpstat to another room.
    Ken

Thanks

I now have three different types of stats... I'm always comparing size/compacity and ease of adjustments. I'm about to set up my new Helix's today as a matter of fact. I was going to wait until my rack order got here, but I can't wait!!! lol

I got 4 Helix's and they've just been sitting for a week waiting for the new racks to get here... but I don't think thats going to happen for at least another week... so I'll set up two of the helix's, and move the herpstat to another room.
    Good stuff! I love those Herpstats! I know Adam and Vaughn do as well!

I'm gonna need to pick up a Helix or two and see what all the fuss is about!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davu
    Ok so I was using a dimmer switch but just got a thermostat. Here is my question and a lil info on my set-up..
    I have a piece of 12x12 tile laying in my tank over the UTH (distribute heat better). I then have aspen as substrate over the tile.
    Right now the aspen is reading 82-84f. The tile is reading 94-96.
    I do not have a thick layer of aspen and the other day i noticed that he moved the aspen and was laying directly on the tile on part of his body. I think it was his belly while was digesting. So my question is, do I keep the tile temp where it is and not worry about the aspen so much? I mean if he is laying on the aspen wouldnt it compact it and allow for the aspen to heat up more? Or do I try and get the top of hte aspen to 88f, but then if i do that i risk him moving the aspen around and laying directly on the tile and possibly burning himself!!?? Everything was perfect before i swithced to the thermostat and now its all messed up!! Errrrr!!
    Is your set-up exactly the same with the t-stat as it was with the dimmer? If so, I don't see how it could be any more difficult to get the temps you had before...I think you've just become more aware of the temperature differences between the "floor" and the surface of the substrate. That difference has always been there, if your set-up is the same as it was before.

Where were you measuring temps before you attached the t-stat? If that setup was working, keeping your snake healthy and "happy"...then just continue to measure your temps there. If the dimmer switch made the surface of the aspen a certain temperature, then the "floor" was hotter, by definition. To get the same aspen to the same temps, the t-stat will still need to heat the "floor" to the same temps the dimmer did.

I'm failing to understand how it's any different.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

So that's what you call that lil thing? ... sounds about right.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

I'm gonna need to pick up a Helix or two and see what all the fuss is about!
    Should have said something on Sunday ... I had a couple still unopened on the shelf.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast